Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Old Leaky Wader Uses

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

As the title suggests, what are some ways to recycle and get some value out of old leaky waders? Has anyone come up with some creative ways to get some value out of them?

Cut the feet off for rain pants?
Get really crazy and make some waterproof bags?
Any programs to recycle waders so that a company can put the material to use?

Let me know if you have done, seen, or heard any good ideas for my old wader pile that is building up.

Tristan

#6 ·
I have cut the feet off and used them at Rocky Ford. tucked them into my boots and I could kneel in the mud to release fish. used them for gardening too when on my hands and knees. used them with tall boots for razor clam digging too after I think about it. better and less cumbersome than knee pads.

#12 ·
You could give them to somebody you don't want to go fishing with.

#13 ·
For years I have worn knee pads when stream fishing to protect my knees and waders when kneeling to stay low and to release fish from the net without lifting out of the water. Then I saw pics of Japanese anglers and canyoneering enthusiasts who climb up into the headwaters of streams using over the knee length neoprene gaiters for leg protection and warmth for wet wading. They fasten behind the calf with velcro. They cost around a hundred bucks(!). I've recently begun wearing over the knee tactical knee-shin pads that cost less than half that and really like the extra protection but they're bulky and heavy. I'd like to make some DIY neoprene gaters from some throw away waders for the cost of some elastic straps and velcro.

#14 ·
double post because of latency

#15 ·
I chop off the neoprene stockingfeet above the gravel guards and use them as neoprene socks when I wet wade in the summer. Since wading boots are fit to accommodate a layer of neoprene, the stockingfeet take up that space inside the boot and the gravel guards keep some of the gravel out. My feet still get wet, but that's why they call it wet wading! Previously, I would just wet wade in sandals (Chacos) during the summer heat, but wading boots are much more effective (and safer) on the rivers I fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.