SBS Michigan Spundun Drake

ScottP

Merged a couple styles to see what happens. Went thru a few tying sequences and this seemed to work the best.
Finally got the damn cast off and replaced it with a removable splint; even though it’s only the left wrist, it sure got in the way and made tying a lot more complicated.

hook - Dai Ike 300 #10
thread - UTC 140 black
tail - moose body hair
body - deer hair
rib - tying thread
wing - deer hair

Mash barb, start thread at 2/3 mark, wrap to bend

Clean, stack, measure (slightly longer than entire hook) a few moose body hairs; tie in/trim

Wrap thread to one eye width back from eye; clean, stack, measure (shank length) a healthy clump of deer hair, trim butts/tie in with 2 soft loops, pull tight and let it spin

Clean, stack, measure (tips just past bend) another clump of deer hair; trim butts, tie in against wing butts, then spiral wrap to bend

Wrap forward, crossing previous wraps, return to base of wing

Push deer hair back; try to distribute evenly around shank

Pull wing back and create thread dam to keep it in place

Whip finish, SHHAN

Trim out hair underneath

Go fishing

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Finally got the damn cast off and replaced it with a removable splint; even though it’s only the left wrist, it sure got in the way and made tying a lot more complicated.
Sorry to hear of your wrist issue, Scott. A person sure couldn't tell of any incapacitation from looking at the picture-perfect flies you have shared with us. Heal-up soon.

ScottP

Listen to your body AND your doctor.
Ortho said I could go fishing now. I said it may be a bit awkward (and probably painful) using a wading staff; he said just get a guide to row me. Didn’t want to tell him that $500 outlay would be just about my entire fishing budget for the year (including gas, license and campground fees) :rolleyes:

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Latest posts