Moth ID?

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Western coastal Washington State. Anyone know? Interesting backyard moth today. Fairly large, 1.25+ inches. I went through the visual guides online, PNW Moths, and could not find a match easily. I find it difficult because the photo plates show the wings in flight and all I see are resting moths showing their forewings only (?) so, I have to wrap my head around the wing pattern being separated and not adjacent.

I know this really does not relate to fly fishing much, perhaps moth play some role as terrestrials.
If moths are a no-no here, let me know.
mothyjuly8thSMALL.jpg

mothidjuly9thSMALL.jpg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Couple years back, I had a fine Polymorphous Moth, too! I was hoping it would die so I could frame it..I mean die of natural causes after a good life : )

If I read correctly, they are an adult for a couple of weeks and do actually die soon. I looked out for him for a week or so. No sign. Amazing !

I have a small owl that comes to the outside light by a sliding glass window and grabs moths, this one would be more than a mouthful.

moth88.jpg

mothy7.jpg

mothfarmstri2015SMALL-1.jpg

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock