Fly fishing recommendations

Hi all--

I am brand new to fly fishing. I am a Seattle native and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where I should go fly fishing in the area. What spots are best this time of year?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
CP

If I lived on the wet side I would put most of my effort in fishing the beaches in the salt. Big learning curve, but way worth it in the long run.
The open head waters of any of the S rivers.
Get a floating devise and hit the bluegill water (still water, lakes), a very good way to learn to fly fish.
And most important.
Welcome aboard mate

KerryS

Ignored Member
Get a float tube or some other small water craft and start with lakes. You can learn to cast, stripping and line control all while periodically being rewarded with the occasional fish. It is getting a bit late in the year for some lakes but if you can find a lake or two that haven’t warmed to much you can still catch some lively planters. Once you have learned to cast, understand how to control your line and how to catch a fish or two progress on to streams or the beach. Learning to cast now will benefit you for years to come so perhaps look into getting some instruction on casting.

Welcome aboard !!! Get casting down first (very important) if you have a friend or family member to teach you start with that if not take some casting lessens, you'll be glad you did. The rest will come with research and exploring whats out there. Good luck !

C&CRods

not your average member
Depending on where you live, Go visit your local shop for great info on what to start with, and make friends with the dudes at the counter. I live close by the Avid Angler in lake forest park and everyone there goes above and beyond. I often see introduction to flyfishing classes offered as well there. Welcome to the long journey of fly fishing!

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Hi all--

I am brand new to fly fishing. I am a Seattle native and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where I should go fly fishing in the area. What spots are best this time of year?

Thanks,
CP
It would help to tell us where about you like to fish. Seattle area is not a good location. The forks of the Snoqualmie are open to Catch and Release. That is a good place to start. There isn't much open water in Seattle.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Hi all--

Thanks,
CP
Contact the Orvis Store fly shop in Bellevue. They have an free educational program called Fly Fishing 101. That's a great foundation.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Hi all--

Thanks,
CP
Contact the Orvis Store fly shop in Bellevue. They have an free educational program called Fly Fishing 101. That's a great foundation.

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
The Yakima River is a good place, at multiple spots starting at Easton and going down all the way to Selah. There are guidebooks at fly shops that list access points. All the local Fly shops have the latest hatch information. This forum has a list of fly shops and resources on other pages. Accessed off the Home page.
Also the North Fork Stillaguamish, the Skagit and the Skykomish river have had good fishing in past years.

You may want to hire a guide to float the Yakima. That's fun. Every fly shop has referrals for guided float trips

Latest posts