If Merrill Lake Ever had a Hex Hatch Like This...

Bowbonehead

That's funny but not surprising givin the local.... as a kid I would visit my grandparents who owned a lodge on Lake of the Woods in NW Ontario and can remember swarms of what the locals called fish flies.... unfortunately the walleye and muskie weren't into rising to them..... but the smallies did....... good memories

jamma

Who in the hell came up with the term "fish flies"? Are they flies that turn into fish? Flies that like fishing? The use of that descriptor was driving me nuts!

P.S. Probably Taxon, too.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
The Susquehanna River in SE PA gets some massive Hexagenia Bilineata hatches this time of the year. They are turning off the lights at night on the old Route 30 Bridge at Columbia, PA since they have attracted mayflies that have piled up several feet deep beneath the lights at times.
Wow!

Shack

They call them fish flies because they smell like dead fish when they pile up like that haha. Not as bad as dead salmon in fall but definitely fishy smelling

Bowbonehead

Nice shovel made in Canuckistan and real steel not plastic..... got a few of those myself...... and yes I do recall the odour of rotting fish flies/Mayflies......

ribka

That's funny but not surprising givin the local.... as a kid I would visit my grandparents who owned a lodge on Lake of the Woods in NW Ontario and can remember swarms of what the locals called fish flies.... unfortunately the walleye and muskie weren't into rising to them..... but the smallies did....... good memories

I remember the hatches fishing walleyes in nW Ontario in the 70’s and early 80’s fishing with my Dad .I snuck up a fly rod and bass poppers .

Really neat to see a school of walleyes surface feeding.

Latest posts