Earthquake

we are ~4 miles from the epicenter. what i felt was at 2:51 - 2:52. our room is above the garage and i snapped awake to what felt and sounded like the house shuddering laterally and violently front to back, one jolt. the picture in my head, half asleep, was that someone plowed a car into the garage, so i scrambled out the front door to a perfectly serene early morning, bewildered. i was surprised we didn't lose any wine glasses...

KerryS

Ignored Member
Slept through it. Dogs didn’t wake me up so I don’t think they cared much.

It is a reminder that I need to go through our survival supplies. I need to change the water. I keep 20 gallons of potable water as a part of the kit. I change that water every 6 months or so. We have about 6 weeks worth of food for three along with fuel supply and emergency medical supplies. I would like to have more water but think if managed correctly 20 gallons should last between two to three weeks.

I change that water every 6 months or so.
Does water in a sealed container go "bad"? If so, does it suddenly become dangerous to drink? I've always wondered about how long water in a sealed container kept in a dark room will last before you shouldn't drink it. I don't know enough about science to know how water can become tainted if it is sealed away from air.

Glad the earthquake didn't cause a lot of damage. One of these days, we are not going to be as lucky here in Corvallis.... the city sits exactly on a fault line and we've been told it isn't a matter of if we have a bad earthquake but when. That's where the water question comes in.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Does water in a sealed container go "bad"? If so, does it suddenly become dangerous to drink? I've always wondered about how long water in a sealed container kept in a dark room will last before you shouldn't drink it. I don't know enough about science to know how water can become tainted if it is sealed away from air.

Glad the earthquake didn't cause a lot of damage. One of these days, we are not going to be as lucky here in Corvallis.... the city sits exactly on a fault line and we've been told it isn't a matter of if we have a bad earthquake but when. That's where the water question comes in.
I guess it could. I have had water stored in a closed container for over a year and it smelled and tasted ok to me. I didn’t drink much. Just smelled it and tasted a small amount. The amount I drank likely wasn’t enough to do harm if there was something wrong with it. I use well water that is run through a fairly sophisticated filtration system with UV light sterilization included. My decision to replace the water every 6 months or so is just a personal decision.

it's confusing that they are calling this three lakes... this appears to be within monroe city limits...

edit: i learned something new. seems it's on a little penninsula of snohomish county surrounded on three sides by the city of monroe. i supposed that's so the county would retain the airport and fairgrounds. looks like the earthquake was near the sw end of the runway.

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Slept through it. Dogs didn’t wake me up so I don’t think they cared much.

It is a reminder that I need to go through our survival supplies. I need to change the water. I keep 20 gallons of potable water as a part of the kit. I change that water every 6 months or so. We have about 6 weeks worth of food for three along with fuel supply and emergency medical supplies. I would like to have more water but think if managed correctly 20 gallons should last between two to three weeks.
My kit contains a nearby river & a rifle

Isn't the 3.5 quake in that area where somebody dug in the Water table and almost drained the underground water. Weren't some of the farmers kind of pissed off because of that.

Latest posts