BULL TROUT

Baitfish Immitations. I like big white and silver clousers immitating whitefish. I generally only target Bulls in the rivers in early spring (Easterish) and later in the fall

4 - 6 inches would be good. In the fall up here you may be fishing the whitefish or grayling run and have a small one on then WHAM the 20 inch bull just gobbled your fish on your 5 wt

another thread? i alrdy told you the best bull trout fly of all time and how to fish it. ive prob landed around 100 on it.

4-6 inches is way to big IMO, they key is flies that get down FAST. big bulky flies do not.

b10s ~size 4 heavy lead wraps and large barbell eyes of your choice
golden olive over white marabou tail
2 ice dub brushes. golden long fiber ice dub gets palmered up the hook to the head.
second brush, white ice dub, gets pulled straight to the head to create the belly.

finish head, brush the fly out, then use a little sharpie on the top of the gold to give it a dark variation ont he back.

cast upstream into the head of buckets and the top of drop offs. let it sink then twitch /strip it back downstream.

silver and white is good too, esp with a little red accent in the head, but gold and white is the go to as it represents the bull trouts primary river diet, stunned first year cutts that get disoriented.

Baitfish Immitations. I like big white and silver clousers immitating whitefish. I generally only target Bulls in the rivers in early spring (Easterish) and later in the fall
good advice. targeting bull trout from late july into ocotober is a no go for me and my personal ethics. they are generally trapped in low water conditions in headwater pools during this time, and from late august-late october will be on the redds. they migrate back downstream with the fall rains.

beyond spawning, they do not have a good survival rate as the headwater temps climb. fighting a bull in water that is even jsut a hair on the warm side is a bad idea.

another thread? i alrdy told you the best bull trout fly of all time and how to fish it. ive prob landed around 100 on it.

4-6 inches is way to big IMO, they key is flies that get down FAST. big bulky flies do not.

b10s ~size 4 heavy lead wraps and large barbell eyes of your choice
golden olive over white marabou tail
2 ice dub brushes. golden long fiber ice dub gets palmered up the hook to the head.
second brush, white ice dub, gets pulled straight to the head to create the belly.

finish head, brush the fly out, then use a little sharpie on the top of the gold to give it a dark variation ont he back.

cast upstream into the head of buckets and the top of drop offs. let it sink then twitch /strip it back downstream.

silver and white is good too, esp with a little red accent in the head, but gold and white is the go to as it represents the bull trouts primary river diet, stunned first year cutts that get disoriented.
Thanks for the recipe!!!

Latest posts