SBS SRC Fly...

FinLuver

Here's a pattern that I have posted (along with the recipe) in the past. While not as polished as ScottP's, I thought I would try to do an SBS format. This the "first take" and so there is much wrong in it as it relates to proportions. ENJOY.

It was such a nice June day, I thought I would set up shop outside...
IMG_0411-1.jpg
Start thread, lay down thread base to barb, tie in tail material, wrap butt ends back to thread start...
IMG_0413-1.jpg
Tie in tinsel underneath shank back to tail, wrap thread back to tie in point; try for a smooth underbody...
IMG_0415-1.jpg
Tie in 2 strands (of 4 strand floss), wrap back to tail with a slight overlap, then wrap back to tie in point, burnish (I used an agate)...
IMG_0417-1.jpg
Wrap tinsel and trim...
IMG_0419-1.jpg
Prep hackle feather (I do the "V" method), tie in, adjust, and trim...
IMG_0421-1.jpg
Tie is a few strands of flash, fold over, tie off, and trim to length...
IMG_0423-1.jpg
Select hackle feather, tie in by tip, wrap collar to desired look, take a couple of wraps of bare stem (make sure the stem is thin), tie off, and trim (the extra wraps of stem creates the base for the wing)...
IMG_0425-1.jpg
Select wing material, clean and stack, measure, trim, and tie in with 3 tight thread wraps, add a spot of head cement, finish wrapping and forming head with thread wraps that are not as tight as the initial 3 tie in wraps; Take thread for final head color, start at/near eye, catch white thread, and wrap back toward wing (counter spin to flatten as you tie); Trim white thread and final color thread tag ends; Counter spin thread and whip finish with touching thread wraps toward the eye, and trim. Two coats of Hard As Hull - Penetrator...
IMG_0427-1.jpg

Latest posts