A short fishing report, alpine lake

Cos

1x hook + 1x unlucky chicken = fish.
I took a trip out to my first alpine lake Saturday afternoon. Arrived at the lake around 4:30, passing by a promising looking clear water creek.
creek1.jpg

I'll need to go back with waders and explore it one time. The fish were rising on the lake surface when I got there, many were jumping just underneath the branches inches from shore.
lake1.jpg

I set my gear and headed out on the water. Unfortunately the patch on the bottom of the raft had failed, and water got into the bottom compartment, so it was a little chilly, but still usable. It's not the best setup... I know, but for the price, it's hard to beat.
setup1.jpg

Caught a little trout on the first cast.

Attachments

Cos

<continued>
Caught a little trout on the first cast. Fishing subsurface using slow sinking line with a long 15' leader, a mini-leech as the head fly with a tailing olive caddis emerger.
trout1.jpg

However, after that nothing. Fish were jumping right where I was casting and not showing any interest. Just a few feet away, I saw a little trout stick his head out of the water to grab what looked like a mayfly. So I switched the tail fly to the closest thing I had that looked similar. A little #14 tan and gray soft hackle.
After that the bite picked up.
trout2.jpg
trout3OnSoftHackle.jpg
Sadly the fish did not cooperate with the camera and most of the photos turned out blurry.
I was surprised at how eager the strikes were. Those little fish didn't have any hesitation!
At the end of the evening, I had caught about 6, with two misses.

Arrived at back at the car just as it got dark.
Amazing day, really excited to go out and try out some more lakes. Thank you to all the folks here for your advice on high lake gear!

MD

I took a trip out to my first alpine lake Saturday afternoon. Arrived at the lake around 4:30, passing by a promising looking clear water creek.
View attachment 206911

I'll need to go back with waders and explore it one time. The fish were rising on the lake surface when I got there, many were jumping just underneath the branches inches from shore.
View attachment 206912

I set my gear and headed out on the water. Unfortunately the patch on the bottom of the raft had failed, and water got into the bottom compartment, so it was a little chilly, but still usable. It's not the best setup... I know, but for the price, it's hard to beat.
View attachment 206914

Caught a little trout on the first cast.
I started out with a raft like that! I recall it being pretty fun. Fished a number of beaver ponds in it....even had a friend along a couple times. It was crowded but doable and made for some laughs.

Looks like you had a nice time.

Mike d

racermo

Watch that Backcast
Congratulations on the first step on a hopefully long journey. I've fished many lakes like this, each is a new adventure. Looking at your second picture I swear I could hear the sounds and smell of the lake.

Cos

I also fished an alpine lake this last weekend, and my expectations were all wrong. We were expecting little guys willing to take dries on the surface with a floating line, and we ended up encountering large char down deep with fast sinking lines and big streamers. Go figure...
Wow, that is a beautiful fish. That looks like a very heavy gear setup though - a float tube like that must be brutal to haul up a mountain.

Ricardo

Wow, that is a beautiful fish. That looks like a very heavy gear setup though - a float tube like that must be brutal to haul up a mountain.
Thanks, yes, this mountain lake thing is very new to me and it will take me some time (and money) until my gear is right on. Backpacking fishing stuff is freaking expensive...

Welcome to the mountain lakes fly fishing club. It's amazing how few fisherman will hike a float tube or raft into a mountain lake and float tube or raft is a must on 90% of the Washington high lakes which I fish. Have a wilderness light float tube on the way. It's 3.5 pounds vs my 9 lb caddis nevada. Also own some 15 oz lightweight fins. I fish a floating or intermediate line most of the time on the high lakes.

Latest posts