Shutter speed for fly casts

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Curious to hear what's the minimum shutter speed you'd use for capturing big (i.e. fast line speed) spey casts?

jwg

Be sure you know if you are using a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter, and know about rolling shutter distortion.
J

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
You're gonna need to use the widest lense you can find to capture those long distance lasers you'll be throwing.

Darthmonkey

It is dependent on your focal length. I've captured spey casts with shutter speeds as low as 1/400th of a second with a 24mm focal length. I don't know of a formula, but multiply your focal length by twenty to get your min shutter speed seems reasonable enough. eg 24mm X 20 = 1/480th sec minimum. As far as focal length, a 15-35mm range should be fine for most spray poles and lines. However keep in mind that sometimes a little motion blur will help an image pop more than just outright freezing the motion.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts