Flies you keep on your patch simply for street cred

SilverFly

Never thought about it til now, but most of the flies I use could function effectively as a trout fly patch.

When I do fish for trout (I actually did today) I keep it simple sticking to EHC's, hares ears, and maybe some soft hackles. If I was going for patch "cred" I'd go old school with forgotten stuff like Adirondack quills, cahills, etc...

Last edited:

herkileez

A fly patch isn't the place to look..
One thing I've learned... NEVER listen to a guy in designer gear...They're usually all about appearance...
Find a local guy in patched, well-worn waders..Stanfield top....well-used "favourite" rod...look to see what fly he has tied on (and how he fishes it)...chances are: He's the one catching fish.

jasmillo

A fly patch isn't the place to look..
One thing I've learned... NEVER listen to a guy in designer gear...They're usually all about appearance...
Find a local guy in patched, well-worn waders..Stanfield top....well-used "favourite" rod...look to see what fly he has tied on (and how he fishes it)...chances are: He's the one catching fish.
Don’t be fooled. Today, guys in patched waders fishing 25 year old rods are just fly fisherhipsters.
I’ve come across many.

Designer gear or not, the only way to determine if someone’s a real fisherman these days is if they are consistently catching fish.

And if they’re wearing a trucker hat of course...

Brian St

No flies for street cred these days. I use to put a few in my hat back in the day I wore a hat. Usually a few speys, almost always a thunder and lighting winter or summer.
I would say a properly tied Glasso orange heron should do the trick. And no blue pheasant isn't a true sub for the original. For the original one must wait under a tall tree where an adult blue heron is plucking his plumage as he is in molt stage. This is happening right now as I am writing this. These feathers are the most worthy of all spey feathers. Thats the ultimate street cred. And also the story behind it. The timing the patience the execution to tie with nothing but the best. Joking aside BEP is perfectly fine and its legal. What you truly need is a fly I designed called the purple jesus. Its big enough to make a statement and then subtle enough to blend in when need be. Your going to get the dude what is that in your hat effect if your into that sort of thing?

rawalker

No flies for street cred these days. I use to put a few in my hat back in the day I wore a hat. Usually a few speys, almost always a thunder and lighting winter or summer.
I would say a properly tied Glasso orange heron should do the trick. And no blue pheasant isn't a true sub for the original. For the original one must wait under a tall tree where an adult blue heron is plucking his plumage as he is in molt stage. This is happening right now as I am writing this. These feathers are the most worthy of all spey feathers. Thats the ultimate street cred. And also the story behind it. The timing the patience the execution to tie with nothing but the best. Joking aside BEP is perfectly fine and its legal. What you truly need is a fly I designed called the purple jesus. Its big enough to make a statement and then subtle enough to blend in when need be. Your going to get the dude what is that in your hat effect if your into that sort of thing?
Okay,
I need this pattern!!! Please!
richard

Old406Kid

Don’t be fooled. Today, guys in patched waders fishing 25 year old rods are just fly fisherhipsters.
I’ve come across many.

Designer gear or not, the only way to determine if someone’s a real fisherman these days is if they are consistently catching fish.

And if they’re wearing a trucker hat of course...
One more thing, decked out Trust Babies are often better fishermen.:D

Latest posts