Flies you keep on your patch simply for street cred

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I'm not sure there's a fly patch large enough to fit my T-bone/Optimus Swine concoction anyway...

Never thought about it til now, but most of the flies I use could function effectively as a trout fly patch.

When I do fish for trout (I actually did today) I keep it simple sticking to EHC's, hares ears, and maybe some soft hackles. If I was going for patch "cred" I'd go old school with forgotten stuff like Adirondack quills, cahills, etc...
That's an excellent point....in fact I might have a handful of these "bro' flies" hidden somewhere in the last fly I tied on.

Salmo_g

For the original one must wait under a tall tree where an adult blue heron is plucking his plumage as he is in molt stage. This is happening right now as I am writing this. These feathers are the most worthy of all spey feathers.
I most respectfully disagree. Molted feathers are low grade. Mid-winter feathers are prime quality. These are most easily obtained by sneaking along hatchery rearing ponds at night when stupid male herons are roosting on the side of a pond wall. You can stealthily walk up behind them and whack 'em with a bat and pluck a whole shopping bag full of Spey hackle. Or so I've heard.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
These are most easily obtained by sneaking along hatchery rearing ponds at night when stupid male herons are roosting on the side of a pond wall. You can stealthily walk up behind them and whack 'em with a bat and pluck a whole shopping bag full of Spey hackle. Or so I've heard.
Not that I advocate violating the Federal Migratory Bird Act but that had me laughing until I had tears in my eyes and nose running!

JamesRPL+

I most respectfully disagree. Molted feathers are low grade. Mid-winter feathers are prime quality. These are most easily obtained by sneaking along hatchery rearing ponds at night when stupid male herons are roosting on the side of a pond wall. You can stealthily walk up behind them and whack 'em with a bat and pluck a whole shopping bag full of Spey hackle. Or so I've heard.
I was fishing near

Nolans Creek a few yrs ago, ran into a spey caster from Minnesota, he said the same thing.They aren't protected there .

Rock Creek Fan

I do not need any stinkin' 'street cred'. I am not fishing in the street. I do not cast on dry land. I am not fishing to impress anyone...

Having multiple patches, does that mean multiple vests? Why are they needed?

Fashionista clothing is a way of spending my limited funds that could be better utilized towards a fishing trip of my dreams.

Fish do not care how we are dressed, what rod and reel we use, or how/where we dry out flies that do not work nor do they do care how far we can cast. They want to eat and not get hooked. So fisher people that catch fish have credibility in my eyes.

dustinchromers

I mount a patch on the side of the boat and dangle eight inch steelhead patterns in all colours. The goofier looking the better all laden with jungle cock.

ryc72

Squirmy worm. The one fly out there that lets everyone know that you’re all serious about catching fish and don’t care what others think of you.
And don’t be afraid to flash some bling once in a while...a gold bead now and again. The moment other fishers see that, they all know what’s up. I usually get a lil nod of acknowledgement and respect and then I’m given a wide berth. Everyone knows what’s up.

jasmillo

@Swimmy need you help. Can you suggest color combos for me to wear while hanging these off my patch?

5E6717FE-BF71-4303-A58B-11FCF349C627.jpeg

I’m having trouble coming up with harmonious color combos for coho flies. I’m thinking solid white, black or grey is my best bet with the least opportunity for clashing. Beige just ain’t gonna work. Thoughts?

Latest posts