Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flies you keep on your patch simply for street cred

4K views 74 replies 42 participants last post by  7919 
#1 ·
Appearance is everything. So what patterns are a must to show off to any passerby that you know what's up?

I'll start:

Chubby - probably the single most important fly when judging or being judged
Hare's ear - soft hackle for extra cred
any articulated streamer - low profile leach patterns are probably your best bet but streamers with heads made from spun deer are also in the conversation. Gotta be home ties though.

Another tip, only show them off if they look used. If they are new spit on 'em, rub with dirt, or leave in the sun for a few days to fade. This way there is no doubt that you not only fish but fish hard.

Whatcha got?

#37 ·
I do not need any stinkin' 'street cred'. I am not fishing in the street. I do not cast on dry land. I am not fishing to impress anyone...

Having multiple patches, does that mean multiple vests? Why are they needed?

Fashionista clothing is a way of spending my limited funds that could be better utilized towards a fishing trip of my dreams.

Fish do not care how we are dressed, what rod and reel we use, or how/where we dry out flies that do not work nor do they do care how far we can cast. They want to eat and not get hooked. So fisher people that catch fish have credibility in my eyes.

#42 ·
Reactions: SpeyDragon
#43 ·
Squirmy worm. The one fly out there that lets everyone know that you’re all serious about catching fish and don’t care what others think of you.
And don’t be afraid to flash some bling once in a while...a gold bead now and again. The moment other fishers see that, they all know what’s up. I usually get a lil nod of acknowledgement and respect and then I’m given a wide berth. Everyone knows what’s up.

#45 ·
@Swimmy need you help. Can you suggest color combos for me to wear while hanging these off my patch?

Rectangle Orange Pink Creative arts Flower

I'm having trouble coming up with harmonious color combos for coho flies. I'm thinking solid white, black or grey is my best bet with the least opportunity for clashing. Beige just ain't gonna work. Thoughts?

#50 ·
Used to sport a Bunyan Bug until my stupid Lab chewed it up.
The chewed up flies (kebari) on my hat tell a story. The story behind a chewed B-Bug doesn't need to be entirely accurate, right?

Reactions: thesankers
#51 ·
I hate patches of foam and lambs wool...shoulder slung pouch with too many fly boxes and stuff inside...which i have been known to leave on the bank and forget only to have to start tying all over again...Quit wearing vest years ago...those ounces add up and by

#67 ·
I find that if you have “beads” all over the patch, hanging on the cap, and then also slather large amounts of “real roe”all over yourself, couple things happen:
1.No one talks toyou on the river,lake,slough or beach.
2.Girls avoid you like the plague( that’s a good thing, as they can get annoying).
3.When fishing is slow, all kinds of carnivores come check you out...

#70 ·
Any foam steelhead skater with visible teeth marks, and then I say something like "this one got chewed too many times so I retired it".
It ain't foam, but the rest applies, including the bent hook. The body isn't dubbing. It's the rest of the deer hair tail with wire ribbed to make it last. What it looks like in the pick is after a half dozen steelhead get a hold of it.
Eye Insect Terrestrial plant Arthropod Eyelash

#71 · (Edited)
Don't be fooled. Today, guys in patched waders fishing 25 year old rods are just fly fisherhipsters.
I've come across many.

You must have seen me on the river, with my old patched Simms "guide" waders and my 25+ year old Powell SH and Sage "brownie" 2H rods :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.