Trip Report Kamloops

Dave Westburg

Visited Meadow Lakes Lodge in Little Fort BC with forum member Scott Donahue to give our bamboo fly rods a workout. Mini-break special. $423 american for 2.5 days fishing, three nights, all meals and boats included. Here's a picture of owner Franchesco Pahlevan serving steak and eggs breakfast at the lodge. Franchesco comes to the Washington Fly Fishing show each year. A great guy and terrific camp owner.
TLSVrkzFQ22Dwq7E06bIrg.jpg

Caught 37 fish 10-18 inches caught on size 12 black beadhead chironomid, #12 Golden Olive Shrimp, some #14 wet flies (bibio and golden olive bumble) and #10 Olive Sedge dry flies. The big ones eluded me. Two four pound and one fifteen pound fish have been caught on the camp's lakes so far this year. Here's one of my typical fish caught on an olive sedge dry fly. It filled up the net and then some.
fullsizeoutput_ac6.jpeg
A view of the lodge from Meadow lake as I was returning from an evening's fishing. Those solar panels on the roof power the lights and kitchen.
s7IXVufDRkC9dnUL27Xt8A.jpg
Plenty of lakes around the lodge to fish and the lodge keeps boats on each lake so you don't need to mess with float tubes.
afqne31mSWaC76LUFwsVbg.jpg
BC fishing camp life: a rustic cabin with rods rigged and ready.
z3ofVCN2TxCAifKwwOHWvw.jpg

Last edited:

Ron McNeal

Life's good!
Nice report!! It's a great place. Lot's of good food, Kamloops & solitude. Also, that's a wonderful photo of Franchesco.

Did Uli make her Wienerschnitzel? She’s a wonderful cook and they are great hosts. Good to hear they are still operating, the Crown raised their rent and they were concerned about having to raise rates to keep going. Grandson and I did the same package three years ago in late June, the Travelling Sedge were just beginning. Others caught fish up to 4+ lbs, we did about as well as you, most fish 12-16, a few to 18”. How many did the loons and eagles get? We then spent three days at a lake 1500’ lower and it was on, he slayed them on an eight foot 4 weight, bigger fish and lost 2 rods overboard and recovered both.

Driftless Dan

Wow, that looks like a blast! I will put them on my list as I've gotten a kitchen pass to have a great trip.

Can you tell me what size rods you brought up, and what kinds of lines you used?

Dave Westburg

Wow, that looks like a blast! I will put them on my list as I've gotten a kitchen pass to have a great trip.

Can you tell me what size rods you brought up, and what kinds of lines you used?
I fished an 8'6" Granger victory bamboo fly rod with a 5 weight floating line when dry fly fishing in the evenings when the wind was down. An olive sedge worked well fishing blind in the evening and a size 14 wet fly worked well cast to rises.

I fished a 9' Granger bamboo rod with a 6 weight line for chironomid fishing and a 9' 6 weight Granger bamboo rod with an intermediate line when fishing a shrimp imitation over the shoals.

I brought a 9' 7 weight phillipson rod in case I was going to be on the lakes like Broken Hook with really big fish. Didn't use it that much.

I think you can get by with a floating line, intermediate line and a slow sinking line.

Dave Westburg

Did Uli make her Wienerschnitzel? She’s a wonderful cook and they are great hosts. Good to hear they are still operating, the Crown raised their rent and they were concerned about having to raise rates to keep going.
Very, very sad. Uli had a stroke and died a year ago. She made Franchesco promise to keep the camp. He's petitioned BC to officially change Denise Lake to Uli's lake.

Franchesco says he's planning on buying the land for BC sometime next year.

Franchesco made snitzel one night.
w+DXpcUYQ5KixoWp3gjHWg.jpg

para_adams

I fished an 8'6" Granger victory bamboo fly rod with a 5 weight floating line when dry fly fishing in the evenings when the wind was down. An olive sedge worked well fishing blind in the evening and a size 14 wet fly worked well cast to rises.

I fished a 9' Granger bamboo rod with a 6 weight line for chironomid fishing and a 9' 6 weight Granger bamboo rod with an intermediate line when fishing a shrimp imitation over the shoals.

I brought a 9' 7 weight phillipson rod in case I was going to be on the lakes like Broken Hook with really big fish. Didn't use it that much.

I think you can get by with a floating line, intermediate line and a slow sinking line.
How did that 9' Granger Victory look with a deep bend in it from a fish?

Latest posts