Margaree Salmon Museum and Harry Lemire

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
While in the area I made a couple of visits to the Margaree Salmon Museum which in addition to housing a fantastic collection of the 150 years of Atlantic Salmon fishing in the Margaree Valley; rods, reels, photos, it also has a stunning collection of Harry Lemire flies and his traveling tying kit. Bill Jollymore of Bridge Lake, BC acquired the collection and donated it to the museum along with paying for a nice display case to house it all.
I’ll post a couple pictures, when I get time from catching up here at home I’ll put up a report on the fishing. Teaser; even though I didn’t land a fish I’d go back in a heartbeat, incredible river and area, fish and people.
72E7DF9A-D3DA-4CB6-AE87-AC88450608AC.jpeg

3B406D01-B675-44D9-81BC-4F4C79DBEF1B.jpeg
6A0B7C5E-CC40-4293-8A77-6D0D73DE54E4.jpeg

Above picture is the display containing his flies, the travelling kit shown in the second picture above can bee see far left. This large case is about 8’ long x 5’ wide. Locally crafted and paid for by Bill Jollymore. I’d like to know how he acquired the flies, anyone; Salmo_g?
83B5AC15-48CF-47DD-A6C8-2D90AB5F2FB7.jpeg
DF076D4D-EFFA-411C-81C3-9457CC18547E.jpeg

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Have to add a trip to this museum to my bucket list. I remember watching Harry tie Atlantic Salmon flies without a vise at the Washington Fly Fishing Show years ago.

wakingflies

I hope in the near future you will show support like you have for the Margaree Salmon Museum, for the Pacific Northwest Museum of Fly Fishing in Oso or close by. We are a nonprofit corp. and our 501 c3 is within days of being approved, I was told i should see it in the mail 3rd week of july. see www.pnwmff.org, #museumflyfish in Instagram or facebook @ Pacific Northwest Museum of Fly Fishing.

A group of approx. 15 individuals have been working for 3 years laying out the groundwork to make this happen, and with the granting of our pending 501 c 3 funding will start.

Why do we have to go back to NB to see Harry's work and others, it is time that the pacific northwest shows our richness and prowess in the fly fishing world.

Speyrod GB

Bill is great guy. It does not surprise me he had a case built. He has a lot of old fly fishing artifacts. I remember watching Harry tie an at Atlantic Salmon fly with just his hands. It was amazing.

I think its great those items can be put on display for everyone to enjoy. You just have to get there.

I went a visited the IFF museum yesterday and saw flies tied by several Pacific Northwest anglers. It was pretty cool. Some of the flies were tied by the folks that used to have cabins around Deer Creek. I remember going up there as a kid/young man.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Art
While in the area I made a couple of visits to the Margaree Salmon Museum which in addition to housing a fantastic collection of the 150 years of Atlantic Salmon fishing in the Margaree Valley; rods, reels, photos, it also has a stunning collection of Harry Lemire flies and his traveling tying kit. Bill Jollymore of Bridge Lake, BC acquired the collection and donated it to the museum along with paying for a nice display case to house it all.
I’ll post a couple pictures, when I get time from catching up here at home I’ll put up a report on the fishing. Teaser; even though I didn’t land a fish I’d go back in a heartbeat, incredible river and area, fish and people.
. View attachment 207002
View attachment 207004 View attachment 207005
Above picture is the display containing his flies, the travelling kit shown in the second picture above can bee see far left. This large case is about 8’ long x 5’ wide. Locally crafted and paid for by Bill Jollymore. I’d like to know how he acquired the flies, anyone; Salmo_g?
View attachment 207014 View attachment 207006
Art Lingren might know the story behind this.

gt

met his daughter somewhere along the line and she gave me one of his flies as a keepsake. having taken a 3 day atlantic salmon fly tying class from Poul Jorgensen i can attest to the skill needed to put together a fly with 18-20 parts and make it look presentable. learned a great deal which still helps me today but i gave myself a D+ at the conclusion of that class :)

HART

Why do we have to go back to NB to see Harry's work and others, it is time that the pacific northwest shows our richness and prowess in the fly fishing world.
[/QUOTE]

Please don't go to NB and expect to find the collection pictured above.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I hope in the near future you will show support like you have for the Margaree Salmon Museum, for the Pacific Northwest Museum of Fly Fishing in Oso or close by. We are a nonprofit corp. and our 501 c3 is within days of being approved, I was told i should see it in the mail 3rd week of july. see www.pnwmff.org, #museumflyfish in Instagram or facebook @ Pacific Northwest Museum of Fly Fishing.

A group of approx. 15 individuals have been working for 3 years laying out the groundwork to make this happen, and with the granting of our pending 501 c 3 funding will start.

You have some cool old images on your IG account.
Thanks for letting folks know and good luck with the museum.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts