Missoula Aug 11-13

SERE Nate

I'm heading to Missoula for the Mumford and Sons concert on the 11th, and am planning on staying a few days to fish. I've fished Rock Creek and the Root around the Florentine bridge in the past. I'll bring either my drift boat or raft, and I'd prefer to float vs wade so I'm leaning towards avoiding Rock Creek.

Any advise on good floats on the Root? WIll Hoot Owl be in affect? Should I ditch the boat and hit Rock Creek?

jasmillo

Hard to predict the weather a month out but I would hit the Bitterroot, Upper Clark Fork or the Blackfoot. Assuming hoot owl restrictions are not in effect, fishing should be great. Tricos should be showing on the Bitterroot by then which was my all time favorite hatch when I lived in Missoula. Either way, you should have AM and PM spinner falls (tricos or PMD’s) and some decent terrestrial fishing middle of the day.

Of course if it is 90 for the next month, all bets are off. That being said, even w/ hoot owl you can still fish some great early AM tricos spinner falls on the Bitterroot.

fivefish

I may be out that way around that time if you want some company on the river. I've never been. Taking a family trip but I will definitely be fishing, too.

Bitterroot is fishing well from top to bottom. No hoot owls yet but water levels are dropping and water temps are heating up. Either way, I'd get out early.

My favorite floats are:

1. Darby to Wally Crawford
2. Tucker Crossing to Bell Crossing

You can also look at the lower Clark Fork. It is fishing really well too and there will be less people.

Tricos will probably be out that time of year in the mornings.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I've been watching the temps on the land and the water. The water was heating up for a while but then the air temps went to hell and now everything has cooled off.:(:(

This year is 6 and a half months long and here in Butte we have only 5 days over the 80 degree mark this year so far. Hell, I can't even mow my yard because it seems to rain damn near every night.:(:(

SERE Nate

I am renting a room above the Wilma Saturday and Sunday. I'd like to do an overnight float Mon and Tues if possible. I prefer a longer float and just drifting, vs lots of back rowing and anchoring, getting out etc. I'd like to see as much of the river as possible.

if a member goes on a trip without posting about it, does he really go on a trip at all?

just giving ya a hard time bro but these threads with river names seem to be near constant lol.

SERE Nate

if a member goes on a trip without posting about it, does he really go on a trip at all?

just giving ya a hard time bro but these threads with river names seem to be near constant lol.
If the Bitterroot River is a hidden gem, I apologize for putting the name out there. Not looking for secret spots, just not familiar with what the floats are. If you ever have any questions about the Flathead River please feel free to ask me as I'm familiar with that system.

Latest posts