What was your first concert?

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Peter, Paul and Mary, 1962, Eugene, Oregon. They overnighted at the house of my sister's friend, so we got to talk with them backstage before the concert. Peter Yarrow knew about my high school, 60 miles away, collecting an amazing amount for the United Way and talked enthusiastically about that. Mary, who was a statuesque woman with that incredibly beautiful hair took my hand and started talking to me. I had just turned 14 and all I could do was stammer and turn bright red. She finally had to pry my fingers loose. Paul Stookey just looked like he wished we would go away.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Heart 1980 Seattle Center Coliseum-they had just kicked Roger Fisher out so I missed the true best version of the band, and they fairly quickly took a nosedive before the short reprieve of MTV big hair popularity gave them a last ride before the final dive.

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I used to live in Tripoli, Libya. On our way back to the USA, we stayed a couple days in London. As our taxi neared the hotel, I saw a venue only 2 blocks away "DAVID BOWIE TONIGHT!" I asked my parents if I could go, and they said sure. It was the last show of his Ziggy Stardust tour, and he came out on stage with a big gold sun with lightning bolt across it on his forehead, fishnet stockings, a gold lame one-piece, with plastic hands reaching around from the back to grab his chest. Many/most of the attendees were dressed similarly. It was an eye opener. Mick Ronson was amazing, but really, the whole show was. Supposedly, Boy George, Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten, Johnny Marr, Polly Styrene, and many other of the soon-to-be punk explosion were there, too.

Just a month after that, back in Portland, I saw Elton John at the Portland Coliseum, my first show in the USA. Although he hadn't released Goodbye Yellow Brick Road yet, he played many of the songs from that album. Bad Company opened for them. I smelled my first weed, as a couple in the seats just in front sat down, opened a small cardboard box, proceeded to roll, then smoke, about a half dozen joints during the course of the show. Wildly different crowd, far more tame than at Bowie. (Edit: Nope, it was Sutherland Brothers and Quiver who opened for Elton John. Bad Company opened for Rare Earth, seen shortly after that).

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Just wondering, since we often talk about music here, what was everybody's first concert?

Mine was Dick Dale at Huntington Beach High School.
It was a long time ago.
:)

Sammy Hagar VOA tour, 1985 ish
He's not an exceptional musician but he is a great entertainer. I wish he would have remained a solo act and not joined Van Halen.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Some amazing first shows so far! Holy sh*t!!! Lucky people!

Wanted to add, when I was 12 years old in 1976, my older brother and I unsuccessfully lobbied our Mom to see Paul McCartney & Wings in the Kingdome. "Wings Over America" tour.
That would have been a great one for a first show (eventually saw him in the Dome in 1990).

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts