Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What was your first concert?

9K views 135 replies 76 participants last post by  t_law 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering, since we often talk about music here, what was everybody's first concert?

Mine was Dick Dale at Huntington Beach High School.
It was a long time ago.
:)

#41 ·
Here is a song from my LAST concert (in New Orleans), which was a year ago when my brothers and their wives and a bunch of friends ventured on a trip to Louisiana (where i was born and where my family lives).

It wasn't really a concert. It was a small venue at the Louisiana Music Factory by an artist i had discovered from Pandora I think..... His name is Andrew Duhon and he is from New Orleans. He was well known enough to be playing at the Jazz Festival that year.

I own all three of his albums. He played this song that day and it was a new song that i had never heard and i remember feeling like i wanted to cry listening to the lyrics because parts of it remind me of my dad (who is still alive but getting pretty old.)

This video that goes with that song that he played that day. It still makes me tear up. And i am so not a crying kind of gal. You can ask anyone who knows me. But i love this song so much.

#42 · (Edited)
“Cause they don’t make them like they used to ....anymore.
Everything they know they learned from the Second World War.
Broken strings, broken hearts. Take ‘em apart and put them back together.
Drive your best girl around forever in old Skylark.”

Also!.... he fly fishes! It’s in another video.

#46 ·
Seattle has been at the forefront of the music scene for decades. Parker's and the Spanish Castle were mainstays for dances and were better (IMHO) than concerts. The Wailers, Sonics, Viceroys, early Jimi Hendrix, Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, Bobby Vee, Johnny Rivers, the Dynamics, early Merrilee Rush, all played there to name a few...

@IveofIone wow - a true list of all time greats! Very envious for sure...

Numerous groups started or ended their tours here in Seattle because it was such a great venue. A few that I have attended that have not been named earlier: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Supertramp, Moody Blues, Al Stewart, Santana, the Doors and Cream.

#47 ·
Later Portland Collosseum,,, 1974 tour...DSOTM...quad sound...remember seeing gentle giant too...don't reacall when,,,in 75 or 76 saw Love, devotion and Surrender Tour with Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin...paramount...and Mahavishnu Orchestra...which is a blur...somewhere at sometime...don't recall...saw a lot of bands during that era just find it hard to recall when and sometimes where am sure there is some reason for the haze...and it most likely was a shade of purple...

#54 ·
Peter, Paul, and Mary at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre outside of Denver, at least it was then, 1968.
Doubled down and watched an SCCA Formula race at Castle Rock, actually met the Smothers Brothers, and got invited to their after race party. They had two cars piloted by Dick Smothers and Lou Sells. Lou won the race, pretty cool!
https://www.oldracingcars.com/eagle/68-69/

#62 · (Edited)
I have a foggy recollection of seeing Buck Owens (and the Buckeroos? He was a DJ at KAYE in Puyallup 1958-1960) on a temporary stage at Seward Park for a Seafair PowWow Concert after the boat race sometime around 1959, 1960.

I also vaguely recall a "rock festival", with KJR radio as the promoter or a major sponsor when Pat O'Day was a DJ and/or Program Director at the Seattle Center sometime in the mid 60s that had some local bands and some national acts. I recall seeing Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels from the "cheap seats", and as a young rock/R&B musician listening to them perform "Devil With A Blue Dress" wondering, where are all the background vocals coming from???

Reactions: IEFBR14
#64 ·
Second annual day of rock n roll in the Superdome 1978....Chistopher Cross, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, and the Eagles! 13 years old and worked the Boy Scout concession stand for the first two bands, then went down on the floor for the last two. Holy Cow! Who knew those things went on at concerts??!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.