Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What was your first concert?

9K views 135 replies 76 participants last post by  t_law 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering, since we often talk about music here, what was everybody's first concert?

Mine was Dick Dale at Huntington Beach High School.
It was a long time ago.
:)

#100 ·
Jascha Heifetz "God's Violinst" I was 7? Y.O. Since I've been to many concerts, Sammy Davis, 'Satchmo' Louis Armstrong, Glenn Yarborough. We went to a lot of plays also, we loved the musicals. My hearing was better back then, I could always hear the words and hum the melody. If ya can't hum the melody, it ain't music. The old R & R had a melody and understandable words.

G
#101 ·
Not sure of the year, but my first was the three Kings; BB, Freddie, and Albert.
Freddy died just about a month after I was born.

Albert was gone shortly after I got into blues.

I missed seeing BB when he was in towns I was in five times. Once was when he in Big Sky (I was in Bozeman), once in Madison, WI, once in Nashville, once in Memphis (at the BB King club on Beale Street), once in Seattle.

#114 · (Edited)
Best concert was John Butler Trio at the Paramount about 12 years ago. I had a seat near the front. I love those guys. Their previous drummer was amazing. Here he is from a different concert. Normally i hate drum solos, but this guy is so good. Edited: I think it was actually at The Moore Theater.

Edited to add, here's one of their songs that got a lot of play on the radio.

Great bass solo around 4:00. Drum solo around 6:00.

#115 ·
So many great drummers (RIP Neil Peart) but the BEST I ever saw (and mentioned in an earlier post here) was Max Roach. Mel Brown (jazz regular from PDX) had a show with Max and they came back out after the show was over because they just weren't ready to stop. A "cutting session" I believe is the term. Now Mel Brown is great but he is not Max Roach. MB started out doing his thing and then MR showed what mastery of the craft looks like. He used his high hat and that was it. Check out this video at about 45 seconds in...

#116 ·
On the most embarrassing, I guess it would have to be The Replacements at the Civic Auditorium in Portland. A friend of mine who, to be fair, sat with a couple of band members at an outside café table before the show, asked a roadie for a backstage pass and for $20 got one. I therefore ponied up another twenty, some of which I borrowed from friends who had accompanied us, and was duly given the same sticker but with no name that got me nowhere. I was so pissed waiting for him to return that when I saw the roadie moving equipment after the show, I wanted to go up to him and punch him in the face to get my $20 dollars worth. Sometimes I wish I had.
The kicker is he would never have heard of the group if I had never turned him onto them.

#117 ·
I saw them at the infamous Pine Street Theatre show, where they were almost too drunk to stand up and played most of the gig with their backs to the audience. The inner groove on their next album had the words, "We're sorry Portland" inscribed.

Reactions: jamma
#121 ·
Most embarrassing....Limp Bizkit..terrible horrible. Free pass to see friend working show. Eminem was one of the openers, that was good. Bizkit was just bad in every way, as expected and worse. Stuck out 2-3 songs and went to car and waited for friend working the show to call us back in afterwards.

2nd worst. Hmmm. 80's Poison opening up for solo David Lee Roth..and he was embarrassing without Van Halen

#122 ·
Another one that springs to mind is Elton John. It was the Yellow Brick Road tour and although I was O.K. with his work, I had listened to Madman across the water extensively, the concert itself was boring. I went with two other friends and we all fell asleep during his set. When we woke up we got up and left.

Another similar one was a Nirvana, Tad and Screaming Trees show. Prior to the show I had played basketball for a couple of hours, had a couple bong hits and a beer or two when I got there. This was pre-Nevermind so Nirvana were up first and I recall Kurdt (as he was known then) trying to smash his guitar and it taking him half a dozen swings to accomplish the mission. Tad were up next but I was really looking forward to Screaming Trees. Next thing I know was a guy shaking my shoulder; I had collapsed in a chair and the place had emptied. I have still never heard Screaming Trees play.

#124 ·
I think it was Wishbone Ash/ Argent...I think? I remember the songs Phoenix and Hold your head up...beyond that I know it was a great concert at the Paramount...$4...wait in line around the block for the box office to deal with tickets...sometimes we just sat down leaning against the building on the sidewalk...Nope wait looked it up...not sure it was my first but 8-6-1972...Close to the Edge tiour YES...I think that is my or one of my earliest ones?

#129 ·
No pictures, but I do have them stashed and a (kinda) display of the more proggier ones on the headboard of my bed. Strangely, none for any of the Thin White Rope shows I attended. Most treasured? The Hobolema (Holdsworth, Bozzio, Levin, Mastellotto) show. An evening of totally improvised music by acknowledged masters of their instruments. Bozzio's kit is a work of either complete genius or unbridled madness and it's not entirely clear why they needed two drummers but Pat had prior experience playing with Bruford, my personal favorite, in Crimson. There were rumors that Allan had recordings of the group, it would sure be nice if they were released one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.