Tax per mile (sfr)

KerryS

Ignored Member
I’m searching for that utopia of lower taxes and good fishing & hunting to retire at
Go east young man. Go east. If I could convince the wife I would have moved to Clarkston, Wa. years ago. No income tax in Washington and no local sales tax with a low state sales tax just over the bridge in Idaho. When I was looking a few years back houses and property were reasonably priced. Lots of good fishing and hunting.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Go east young man. Go east. If I could convince the wife I would have moved to Clarkston, Wa. years ago. No income tax in Washington and no local sales tax with a low state sales tax just over the bridge in Idaho. When I was looking a few years back houses and property were reasonably priced. Lots of good fishing and hunting.
We have that area on the list of possibility’s.

Are you ok with Google knowing that from your phone??? Or Verizon....or Apple.....or Facebook....or Gas Buddy....or AccuWeather....or...or...or

Nope. But I certainly have the choice to use those services or not. The government is not mandating I own a cell phone, use Google, keep my phone on and with me at all times etc etc. Not a very strong comparison

Has anyone mentioned here what your auto insurance companies will do with the mileage information? It won't stop there with the possibilities of them also in the future know exactly your driving habits, speed etc.

ribka

The article says
It sounds like the "pay per mile" would replace the gas tax, so you would not pay both. The state transportation commission is now crunching data from its pilot program. They plan to come up with some recommendations for lawmakers this summer.
That is the same as what I was told in the study.
The state would get rid of the gas tax if implemented

Now that’s funny

Maybe should close one lane down on I 405 I 5 and I 90 and turn into bike lanes

ribka

I thought high taxes were “patriotic” ?

Shame the freeloaders driving electric vehicles powered by dead salmon and steelhead don’t pay their “fair share” and aren’t patriotic.

Last edited:

Shad

Just like most taxes, this will end up being regressive (meaning it will impact those who have the least the most). Nobody commutes 50 miles or more to work by choice; they all do so because they've been priced out of the major urban centers where all the jobs are.

This may influence my decisions on where and how often to fish, but I'm more willing to accept that, because fishing is absolutely optional, and it is a luxury to be able to buy a car and gas to get me there. I'm much more concerned about how this royally screws over people just trying to get to work each day. As has been said, the existing gas tax does plenty to penalize those folks for being too poor to live among the elites who propose this sort of legislation.

Shad

Has anyone mentioned here what your auto insurance companies will do with the mileage information? It won't stop there with the possibilities of them also in the future know exactly your driving habits, speed etc.
Agreed. Be VERY wary of what apps you install. Anything that uses location data to track you is intended to spy on you in some capacity. Fortunately, a lot of that tracking is benevolent and useful, but the lines are very blurry, and once voluntarily shared, your location data can be used in ways that don't benefit you at all. Using a driving app under the guise it might lower your insurance premiums is foolishness of the highest order. And don't get me started on the dangers of web-based genealogy analysis....

Remember that nothing is free....

Latest posts