Affordable Fly Fishing Lodges

chief

I've been browsing Yellow Dog over the past year and most of the lodges are more then I'm willing to pay for. Can anyone recommend any lodges in Alaska, Belize or Mexico that are more adventurous & offer good fishing at a reasonable rate?

I'm open to other countries as well.
Define reasonable rate. What are you willing to pay for a week? That will probably help with recommendations that fit your budget.

Rob Allen

I think affordable fly fishing lodges is an oxymoron. After all, fly fishermen are elitist pricks of society's upper crust who can afford ridiculously high-priced gear when a hook and worm would do. It just makes sense to cater to the affluent. After all, cost is only marginally relevant to them, so there's tons more money to be made off the rich than off guys like me. I think that's why most fly fishing lodges lean toward the high end; it just pays better.

I was listening to a podcast a year or so ago about a lodge in either Argentina or Chile.
They had their high end stuff but also had packages targeting people like fishing guides, where it was more on your own adventure type stuff.

I know there is a place in Norway that offers something similar for Atlantic Salmon, the gille takes you out, shows you the pools. Then youre on your own..

Rob Allen

I'd be interested in that DIY Chile and Norway alternatives Rob. Got more insider info?
I'll try to dig and remember.

The guy i talked to about Norway said he did the whole trip including airfare for 5 grand if i remember right.
Thats pretty much equal to a low end lodge but with out tips being extra.

ribka

I do dyi Mexico every year
https://tailhunter.com

These guys are not fly fishing exclusive, but if you bring your own gear, they can give you a guide who understands what you need.

I used them about 9 years ago for two days and the fishing in the Summer was fantastic. I will admit that I did catch some yellowtail and yellowfin on the gear rods, but I also caught many species on the fly rod, including rooster fish.

https://tailhunter.com

These guys are not fly fishing exclusive, but if you bring your own gear, they can give you a guide who understands what you need.

I used them about 9 years ago for two days and the fishing in the Summer was fantastic. I will admit that I did catch some yellowtail and yellowfin on the gear rods, but I also caught many species on the fly rod, including rooster fish.
X2

Mems

Alaska lodges are pretty pricey. I went last year to the Kenai for the trout opener and stayed in a hotel n the kenai river but had guide friends that took me out for free.
Mexico is great, we just got back from a trip to baja that was put together by jay Murakoshi and we had a wonderful time. He can be found at flies unlimited website. Tailhunter was already mentioned in the thread and Johnathan uses the same guides as Jay.
Christmas Island is a reasonable lodge experience, $2500 for the week. The airfare to Hawaii and there will set you back but I live in Hawaii and only have to pay one leg.
Bahamas is great if you are on the East Coast. The all inclusive lodges are pricey but I did it on the cheap there and booked my own guides and stayed at a cheap hotel and had a great time.
Jay Murakoshi is putting together another trip this fall to Aitutaki in Cook Islands and you can do tow weeks there for the price of one in Christmas Island.
If you get on the travel lists many trips are offered at discounts for last minute cancellations. Have your passport ready and you can jump on some great deals. I posted one on here to Loreto for $700 recently.
You can fish redfish out of New Orleans and stay at Woodland Plantation for the lodge experience or stay in the city and book your own guide. I find being in New Orleans a lot more fun if the weather turns bad than sitting on a bayou looking at alligators.
There are many ways to do trips on the cheap, luckily for me I know many fisherpeople who are fun to fish with and help me out on my travels. Lodges are great, I am just not that type of person.
Best advice I got about lodges was from Rick Pope, owner of TFO. Go the 2nd year. 1st year they don't have all the bugs worked out. 2nd year is much smoother and the fishing is still great.

Lots of truths here. For my 40th, Dad and I went to a lodge in Northern BC. Super great lodge, great people and guides working there. There were a group of clients who were a bunch of know it all pricks that just came off as super condescending, dropping names etc. that really impacted how the rest of us at the lodge felt. While it didn't ruin the experience, it put a damper on it, partly, because I think that what most people want from a lodge, aside from opportunities at great fishing, is to meet a bunch of like minded people and have some camaraderie at the end of the day. While DIY is nice, it can be a long week, sharing a motel room with a buddy (or by yourself) especially if you've fished together all day. It's fun, but can get stale quick.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
because I think that what most people want from a lodge, aside from opportunities at great fishing, is to meet a bunch of like minded people and have some camaraderie at the end of the day.
I have fished at quite a few lodges over the years, and I don’t think that is actually the case. Most of the people I have met at lodges seem to be there to have a good fishing week in a comfortable place. Meeting other people is not part of the plan.

I have experienced the elitist pricks at fishing lodges a few times. People like that can really affect the atmosphere at a place, especially when they are not catching fish (which seems to be most of the time, as they usually aren’t actually good at fishing and are often focused entirely on catching permit). However, most fishing lodges actually know about this situation and plan for it by having more than one area to hang out when not fishing.

chief

My wife and I stayed at this place on Long Island Bahamas a couple of times, but it has been about 12 years since we were last there. Simple huts on the beach with breakfast and dinner included. DIY bonefish can be caught right in front, or they have a guide who can take you out. The owner is quirky, but a great chef. They have cars for rent for other DIY options, and kayaks to explore nearby flats. But it is more like a glamping mixed use property than a pure fishing lodge. https://chezpierrebahamas.com/

Latest posts