Floating upper Skagit BC

Planning on driving up early am Sunday, floating from mid day to evening, then camping and floating early am -afternoon monday. Looking for suggestions on sections to float. (6-7 hrs) Will be parking, launching the pontoon and floating down to where i leave a bike, then riding back up river to retrive the car. (Assuming there are no shuttles in the area)

Ps i know about the skeeters!

Salmo_g

Hmmm, never heard of floating the upper. After run off the river is low enough and approachable for walk and wade fishing. Sounds like fun, although I loathe July up there, cuz, yeah, skeeters. And black flies. Ginormous ones. Take a head net and lots of DEET. Good luck!

Hmmm, never heard of floating the upper. After run off the river is low enough and approachable for walk and wade fishing. Sounds like fun, although I loathe July up there, cuz, yeah, skeeters. And black flies. Ginormous ones. Take a head net and lots of DEET. Good luck!
Any tricky water that you have seen up there or do you think its just low/small water that keeps people from floating? I did see a blog post from Pacific Angler saying some of their people floated it. Other than that, nothing. I should probably just get in touch with them and see what they think. Thanks!

Fished it last weekend and it was wade-able. Most float guys put in at the mile 26 bridge and take out Here. There is a log jam down river from there that you can't easily get around.

Also Ross "lake" is something to see right now.

BDD

Floated it last summer. Chemist is right about the log jam; we made sure to pull out before we got there. Had to pack the Freestone 500 yards through the brush to pull out...not a big deal though it looks as if we did more scouting, we might have found a place closer to take out. Folks are right about the skeeters. Fishing was good, not great. The best part, for me at least, was to actually drift the river in the headwaters and see the "source" of the river that I grew up fishing in WA...totally different character than what flows from Rockport to Woolley.

Last edited:

kmac

I've waded up there about 5 times over the last 10 years, but never saw anyone floating it which I assumed was due to the number of snags and log jams. And yeah, skeeters that will eat you alive! Best $3.99 investment I ever made was the head skeeter net.

I've floated a couple of stretches in the past. Super easy - though there are some spots that you'll have to hike-a-boat and do be careful around the log jams. It's unlikely that you'd get into trouble in your boat in the logs (unless you were doing that texting while boating thing), but portaging in/around/over them might be dicey. The river is very wadable in this stretch with numerous pull-outs and parking areas - but floating lets you see the spots in between and maybe get to some holes that don't see as much pressure. Another option I've used in the past is to ditch a car or bike at one access point and hike the entire stretch from another access point. They are spread out enough that this will get you to some spots that don't see as much pressure too.

Latest posts