Chasing Mud Marlins (golden boners)

Buzzy

@Engee and I headed up to the big reservoir this morning. Finally! Blue skies and moderate to near calm "W"
1.JPG

Found this sticker on an ecology block; anyone know who this is? Curious!

2.JPG

Good thing the water was warm (about 72F) otherwise I'm not sure @Engee would have waded this deep, as is, his voice went up an octave. We both struggled to spot fish even though the conditions were perfect. For whatever reason, the fish weren't up on the flats or shallows in any numbers. There was a carp tournament this past Saturday, Engee wondered if the anglers had spooked all the fish. I don't think their memories are that good, the fish were feeding elsewhere (deeper, I think).
3.JPG

I changed flies a few times. Right after knotting (loop) an olive crayfish, I spotted a feeding fish. Game on! Decent sized mud marlin that took off down lake, "backing"! About the time my backing knot went out the tip top, I noticed the fish rounding a bend, got nervous the fish might scrape my Rio Gold WF8F so I ran after the fish cranking in line.
4.JPG

Not a huge fish but very fat. Crayfish in his lip.
5.JPG

SPF55 block, a Buff and a goofy hat and a happy face.
6.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, this is a hexagenia.
7.JPG

No deer in Grant County.

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Nice fish, Pat! I'll try to get up that way when I'm done with housing-sitting duties/irrigation duties in a week or so.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
1. Carp are absolutely thst smart
2. Carp that are stressed release pheromones that put them off feed

We have a pretty famous carp tournament here by me, at Lake Henshaw and the fishing sucks for WEEKS after the tournament.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
@Engee and I headed up to the big reservoir this morning. Finally! Blue skies and moderate to near calm "W"
View attachment 207404
Found this sticker on an ecology block; anyone know who this is? Curious!

View attachment 207405
Good thing the water was warm (about 72F) otherwise I'm not sure @Engee would have waded this deep, as is, his voice went up an octave. We both struggled to spot fish even though the conditions were perfect. For whatever reason, the fish weren't up on the flats or shallows in any numbers. There was a carp tournament this past Saturday, Engee wondered if the anglers had spooked all the fish. I don't think their memories are that good, the fish were feeding elsewhere (deeper, I think).
View attachment 207406
I changed flies a few times. Right after knotting (loop) an olive crayfish, I spotted a feeding fish. Game on! Decent sized mud marlin that took off down lake, "backing"! About the time my backing knot went out the tip top, I noticed the fish rounding a bend, got nervous the fish might scrape my Rio Gold WF8F so I ran after the fish cranking in line.
View attachment 207407
Not a huge fish but very fat. Crayfish in his lip.
View attachment 207408
SPF55 block, a Buff and a goofy hat and a happy face.
View attachment 207409
If I'm not mistaken, this is a hexagenia.
View attachment 207410
No deer in Grant County.
Nice pics Pat.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts