Trip Report Montana 2019 (very photo-heavy report)

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Great report, awesome photos, just please tell me that this fish was legal to harvest and that you ate it. Otherwise, why the 1970's lip grab on a trout? I'm not trying to be all holier than thou, I just thought that well informed fishermen today (of which you seem to be) knew proper handling techniques.

Troutnut

I'm sure that fish was fine. That was the quickest way to get a photo of its colors with one hand on the camera and get it back in the water. I'm all for careful handling, but some rules-of-thumb that are important in some situations end up getting taken as dogma in all situations. A brief vertical lip hold isn't going to hurt a fish that small (around 12"); it's more of a problem for larger fish (in which the ratio of body weight to tissue strength is higher), or if you're holding at more of an extreme angle and putting substantial stress on the jaw muscles, or if you keep holding on like that while it tries to flop around. If you know of any scientific literature to the contrary feel free to share the link. This grip wouldn't be found on any list of best practices, but I don't think there's any literature suggesting that it would increase risk of mortality or reduce growth in a fish of this size either.

Great report, awesome photos, just please tell me that this fish was legal to harvest and that you ate it. Otherwise, why the 1970's lip grab on a trout? I'm not trying to be all holier than thou, I just thought that well informed fishermen today (of which you seem to be) knew proper handling techniques.[/QUOTE]

Craig I guess someone could say the same thing about the death grip you have on this fish....
give the guy a break................
Steller report and trip Troutnut

Great report, awesome photos, just please tell me that this fish was legal to harvest and that you ate it. Otherwise, why the 1970's lip grab on a trout? I'm not trying to be all holier than thou, I just thought that well informed fishermen today (of which you seem to be) knew proper handling techniques.

Craig I guess someone could say the same thing about the death grip you have on this fish....
give the guy a break................
Steller report and trip Troutnut[/QUOTE]

Dear Brian, in Or.

I am human. I have made many mistakes. Am I squeezing the life out of this fish? Perhaps. I've also kept it very close to the water, in fact it's tail, anal and pelvic fins are in the water. Your comparison is akin to apples and oranges in my opinion. If you were to delve deeper into my past, I'm sure you would find pictures of me holding fish in a way worse manner than this. The thing is I have learned from my past mistakes, have tried to keep myself informed on how to protect our precious resource, and it's frustrating to see someone holding a wild cutthroat in that manner. My sarcasm regarding the 1970's comment was probably not necessary. What I do find sad is that, while Troutnut seemed to take my comments in stride, and did something constructive, offering information that I wasn't previously aware of (which I appreciate, and will look into further), whereas you take precious time to delve into my past posts to simply try and prove a point. The only point I got out of your post is that if your life is that sad and boring that you feel the need to not only try and start shit, but dig through my previous posts in order to do it, I actually kind of feel sorry for you.

Good day sir

Last edited:
I'm sure that fish was fine. That was the quickest way to get a photo of its colors with one hand on the camera and get it back in the water. I'm all for careful handling, but some rules-of-thumb that are important in some situations end up getting taken as dogma in all situations. A brief vertical lip hold isn't going to hurt a fish that small (around 12"); it's more of a problem for larger fish (in which the ratio of body weight to tissue strength is higher), or if you're holding at more of an extreme angle and putting substantial stress on the jaw muscles, or if you keep holding on like that while it tries to flop around. If you know of any scientific literature to the contrary feel free to share the link. This grip wouldn't be found on any list of best practices, but I don't think there's any literature suggesting that it would increase risk of mortality or reduce growth in a fish of this size either.
Troutnut,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into it further. As for my sarcastic reference to the 1970's lip grab, I do apologize. I wasn't trying to be an asshole or call you out, simply hoping to bring awareness to the ragility of our resource and our need to be constantly vigilant in our handling of fish.

Feel sorry for me..... naw, your just part of the problem, people quit posting on the forums because of guys like you being the fish handling police. If your so worried about our sacred fragile resources why dont you take up knitting or chess....

Latest posts