Alaska lake fishing

Mark Kadoshima

Going to the Kenai area next week and camping at Summit Lake by Seward for 5 days. Got a guided trip to do the upper Kenai for rainbows (thanks to everyone that helped with information regarding getting the guide and proper gear and flies)....but realized I'll actually be spending more time fishing Summit than anything else. In fact, it was four years ago early in the morning watching a guy in a float tube silently casting the reeds through a light morning mist with only a family of loons that got me motivated to go into fly fishing. It was surreal to watch and ultimately peaceful.
Sooooo....I purchased a Fishcat 4 and some fins from Anil out at PS fly company and am going to wear my kayak pfd also (it comes with a lot of pockets, and after reading some of the cautionary posts on WFF, I figured a newbie expecially should take care), but I can use some hints as to what to bring for the lake.
I'm planning on bringing a 5wt and was thinking of bringing a 3 wt as the trout are only around 10-20 inches and I might try to find a stream to fish (and not become bear food). Floating and a sinking line. Some balanced leeches and wooly buggers.....maybe a dolly lama (sp?) or two and a mixture of a few dries. Suggestions on emergers?
Any other help is appreciated?
Thanks
Mark
PS...I owe you guys pictures from my Maui trip. I normally don't take pictures...takes me a while and I'm always worried about the fish, but I really enjoy seeing all of your pictures. I'll try and get a few of AK.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I think it’s mostly Dollies in there, think attractor patterns; red, orange, silver, crystal flash. As I recall it’s not very productive. If it were me I’d fish it near the outlet. You could consider driving towards Kenai a few miles and fishing Quartz Creek for rainbows and dollies. Should be good timing as the sockeye will be up there with the trout behind them. Carry bear spray.

Admunky

I stayed at the summit lake lodge up there a couple different days with my wife. First day I fished it I caught a couple small dollies and that was it. Second time I stopped in we borrowed a canoe compliments of the lodge and we paddled to the shoal on the south end of the lake and I caught my personal best rainbow well over 20 inches. Fishing seemed much better down there cause we caught several nice rainbows before heading back into an awesome head wind! Used arizona simi seal leaches. Stillwater fly fishing is incredible on the peninsula. This was around June 1-6, the week just prior to the rivers opening up, and we had it all to ourselves.

Mark Kadoshima

I think it’s mostly Dollies in there, think attractor patterns; red, orange, silver, crystal flash. As I recall it’s not very productive. If it were me I’d fish it near the outlet. You could consider driving towards Kenai a few miles and fishing Quartz Creek for rainbows and dollies. Should be good timing as the sockeye will be up there with the trout behind them. Carry bear spray.
Quartz Creek looks like it has good road access. I'll ask the local fly shop about it. Thanks for the heads up. Vehicle security a bigger issue than anywhere else? We'll have a rental...wondering if we ought to get the higher coverage : ).

Gorgefly

Fished it many, many times. Will be there in three weeks again. Not mostly dollies.... mostly bows. There are big fish there. Big fish eat big flies. Flies that look like little fish. have fun. I often get off the Kenai to go fish that one.

Gorgefly

Quartz Creek will also be good now. The road is fine. No need for extra insurance. You can even just pull off of the Sterling Hwy and walk right down to it without even needing to go off on dirt

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I just realized I mistook Summit Lake for another. Gorgefly is correct, leave the 3 weight and bring lots of DEET. You will need it.
Who are you fishing with?

Mark Kadoshima

I just realized I mistook Summit Lake for another. Gorgefly is correct, leave the 3 weight and bring lots of DEET. You will need it.
Who are you fishing with?
Going up with a bunch of lifelong college buddies (all in our 50's now). We go to AK once a year to fish, drink, eat, and BS...not necessarily in that order. We've had a great time with only one guy fishing and the rest of us critiquing his every move from the bank while enjoying a beer or two.
I'm definitely getting a few cans of bear spray and a bear 'horn'. I can run faster than any of my buddies...so betting on the "just can't be the slowest" theory : ).

Gorgefly

Definitely can’t fly with spray. Just buy one and spray yourself down really good with it before you head out. The bears won’t bother you.
Seriously. They are $40-$50 bucks a pop and you have to give it away before heading home. I’ve been know to stash a few at local pubs but mostly I try to give them to military guys coming into the airport when I fly out. If you are only fishing summit and going with a guide on the Kenai I wouldn’t even buy any.

Mark Kadoshima

Definitely can’t fly with spray. Just buy one and spray yourself down really good with it before you head out. The bears won’t bother you.
Seriously. They are $40-$50 bucks a pop and you have to give it away before heading home. I’ve been know to stash a few at local pubs but mostly I try to give them to military guys coming into the airport when I fly out. If you are only fishing summit and going with a guide on the Kenai I wouldn’t even buy any.
Good to know. One of my friends lives up there, so if he doesn't have a can, I can always give the hopefully "unused" can to him.

Mark Kadoshima

Sorry to keep bugging you guys. I hate the idea of 'wishing' I had brought a rod. What do you think of a 6 wt spey on the upper Kenai, and a 3 wt spey on the Quartz?
I owe some of you some beers.
BTW...I'll be sharing these rods with some of my buddies that didn't bring a fly rod.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts