Weedless bass flies?

cms829

Hey all! So Ive been fishing my pond a bit with the spinning rod and catching some nice largemouth. But I need to start using the fly rod.

Whats are some of the best topwater and subsurface flies for largemouth, and the best ways to make the as weedless as possible? Show me whatcha got!

P-FITZ98

What works with your spinning rod? Personally for top water, I prefer deer hair divers, I use 20-30 lb mono for weed guards. Subsurface, I like to tie a “senko worm” variant, or a “meat wagon”. Are you tying your own stuff?80796B23-841F-4D51-9444-D2EE48B603F6.jpeg

cms829

Yup. I guess Im just curious as to what works best weed wise. Like two strands of heavy mono to the sides of the hook point? Looked back onto to the bend of the hook? Or just cut?

Sorry the pics didnt show up.

Topwater I've just been using a weedless frog. Theyre vicious with that thing. I've caught a couple before I even closed the bail of the reel. I checked out some larger bass poppers and theyre damn expensive so I guess I'll spin up some hair!

P-FITZ98

I’m humbled, Shawn West. I suggest watching said man’s videos. I’ve learned a lot from you Shawn, you are truly a deer hair master!!!

thesankers

Yup. I guess Im just curious as to what works best weed wise. Like two strands of heavy mono to the sides of the hook point? Looked back onto to the bend of the hook? Or just cut?

Sorry the pics didnt show up.

Topwater I've just been using a weedless frog. Theyre vicious with that thing. I've caught a couple before I even closed the bail of the reel. I checked out some larger bass poppers and theyre damn expensive so I guess I'll spin up some hair!
I prefer 20 Mason hard mono or something similarly stiff. Any bigger than that and I seem to have some issues with missed strikes. It is important to keep the weed guard loop close too the hook point as well. Too large of a loop seems to cause some hooking problems. People have said that weed guards lose fish, but it has been my experience that if they are tied as described they are fine what causes lost bass is striking with slack in the line and not striking good and hard. IMG_0579.JPG
Double weed guard

Attachments

b_illymac

Member Active
I hope I don't rub people the wrong way but I don't bother with weedless and frankly for at least how I fish I see no reason too. This isn't because I don't fish weedy areas. Long ago coming from fishing gear I just didn't see how one can fly fish the true heavy slop and expect to get a 6 pounder out. I mean the gear guys use 65 pound braided line when they punch mats and even then sometimes get their butts kicked.
So I work more on covering water with long casts to offset not being able to fish in the actual slop. I use big 5/0 and 6/0 hooks and just dont have a problem even on places like potholes with the weeds sticking to them any more then rigged weedless poppers.
I also use some loud, big baits to draw up strikes along weededges and open water etc. Things like this:IMG_20190729_063306_328.jpgOne neat advantage us fly guys have is we don't have to reel all the way up to the rod every time when fishing spots in the weed edges or along cattails. When it's hot or if hitting shade just work popper till its out of the zone and get it back one false cast into the zone. You can cover a ton of water like this. When fishing open water though I often will work it all the way back to boat because I've had some insane strikes right at boat :)

SHD

I’m no bass expert but I’ve spent the last 3 years or so trying to dial it in. I started by tying the two loop weed guard on either side of the hook. I experimented with different strength monos and found that I was missing fish at times with this style of weed guard. Since then I’ve simplified things a bit and now I just tie in a “v” of 20lb Mason hard mono at the eye, slightly facing back towards the hook point. I’ve found this to be a more reliable weed guard and it hasn’t affected hook ups as much as the loops did. It’s easier to tie for me also.

D1FC16CA-3C86-479A-8249-3236412D519C.png53804E5C-D02F-43E2-98E3-25A9BAEF08AC.png53804E5C-D02F-43E2-98E3-25A9BAEF08AC.png

jersey

livin' the dream
Big fan of guitar string. The lighter gauge string are springy and allow throwing into cat tails and heavy cover. Although a pain to tie, they work very well.

Gregobr

I've been having good success with the Stealth Bomber pattern. I too though need to start tying some with a weed guard.40BA9BFC-9381-42B3-9897-2A89D6B85958.jpeg

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
If you want really weedless, look at Rob Meade’s “gutless frog”. I tie these as a popper, and have caught plenty of fish on it in heavy weed.

Latest posts