Trip Report Meadow Lakes BC, Redux

Dave Westburg

I had so much fun visiting Meadow lakes fishing camp a couple weeks ago that I booked another minibreak last weekend with a couple friends one of whom is a member of WFF.

Ready for packing. An 8'6" 5 weight granger victory for the evening rise, two 9' 6 weight grangers for wet flies and large sedge dries during the day and a 9' 7 weight Phillipson for the day we went chasing trophies at a selective harvest lake. Floating, intermediate and sinking lines. A box of wets, a box of chironomids and a box of dries. 12-15 foot 4x leaders for dry fly work. 9' 3X leaders for wet flies.

Imp8E+%uR6ONxtxmHKRUeQ.jpg

The sedge hatch was sparse but the fish were still looking up. I caught lots of 12-16 inch fish on a dry line and size 8-10 dry olive sedge worked over the edge of shoals. There were also some callibaetis and chironomids. At night we'd push the boats out and drift and cast size 14 wet flies or sedges to rising fish.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14d6.jpg

This small selective harvest lake produced a 15 pound trout and two four pound trout for other anglers in June. We found fish but no trophies on the edge of this shoal.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14d5.jpg Got to love any lodge which has a bottomless coffeepot and cookie jar!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14d8.jpg
I've fished only about half of the lodge's lakes. A good excuse for a return trip.

Dave Westburg

What, no slip bobbers?:p
Not a bobber guy. I fished chironomids successfully one afternoon using a beadhead black chironomid and the 16' bobberless chironomid leader Mark Hume and Mo Bradley talk about in Trout School: 6 feet of maxima 10 lb floro, 6' of 8lb maxima floro, 4' of 6lb maxima floro. You cast out, keep your line straight and watch for the tip of your fly line to move.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
this is how I was taught to fish chironomids too
Not a bobber guy. I fished chironomids successfully one afternoon using a beadhead black chironomid and the 16' bobberless chironomid leader Mark Hume and Mo Bradley talk about in Trout School: 6 feet of maxima 10 lb floro, 6' of 8lb maxima floro, 4' of 6lb maxima floro. You cast out, keep your line straight and watch for the tip of your fly line to move.

para_adams

We'll corrupt you soon enough and you'll be addicted to bobbers!

dfl

Old, awful and ugly.
So, you're a fly fisherman not a bobber fisherman. My heartiest congratulations.

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
Not a bobber guy. I fished chironomids successfully one afternoon. You cast out, keep your line straight and watch for the tip of your fly line to move
That's the classic approach.

But that looks to be right in your wheelhouse, with that selection of glass rods & Pflueger Medalist reels .

c/22

Dave Westburg

No Russ Peak?
Give me time...didn't Peak make some of the best fiberglass rods? I've never cast one.

Most of the time I'm fishing Granger and Phillipson bamboo fly rods. Love the dark amber color and the relaxed casting stroke. I acquired them at $300-500 each over the past few years so I won't have a heart attack if one breaks.

Phillipson made lots of fiberglass fly rods. Para Adams let me cast a Phillipson fiberglass rod and it was an eye opener.

Last edited:

Latest posts