Little Naches Camping Fishing

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
So i made a vow last year to try new camping and new fisheries (to me). This is the 5th new fishing and 3rd new camping in two years. To my surprise, all 5 new fisheries produced at least one fish, so I feel blessed. I go with low expectations and attitude that i will enjoy the search. Old Man has been an inspiration.

Last week i spent 5 days camping next to the Little Naches about 3 miles from my childhood cabin owned by my grandparents at the confluence of the Bumping and American rivers. It was a little nostalgic for me since i have not been back in 20 years and almost 40 years since the last time i actually slept in the cabin.

There are lots of camping options along this smallish stream for 12 miles of paved road. I was at 2,500 feet at this campground. Pine trees and dry side forrest.

The campsite was terrific, i had shade most of the day. Night time lows were in the upper 40's to around 50, so sleeping in the backpacking tent was quite comfortable. I managed to forget my nice thick sleeping pad, so borrowed my friend,s moving blanket and slept just fine. Lots of pine boughs kept the surface actually very nice since i prefer a very firm mattress.

The outhouse near me was a classic from when i was a kid. Stunk to holy hell but lacked the flies i remember when camping in late 60's thru 80's. For some reason, the outhouse farther from me had no smell at all. It was identical to the other, and had just as much material in the toilet, but it did not stink.

Whistle'n
IMG_20190729_074103251.jpg
IMG_20190729_182205989.jpg
Jack's is still open and has great american food. I remember my grandma or aunt taking me there as a kid and having hamburgers, fries and a soda while sitting on a deck over the river. Well no deck over the river now, but there is an outside dining next to river that was closed due to upcoming wedding.

Just down the road from Whistle'n Jacks was a helicopter base for the Forrest fire that kept at it all 5 days of my camping. Fortunately for me, the wind blew from West to East, so the smoke went away from our campsite, but Sunday morning the wind brought a little smoke to us to let us know we were near a fire. It is called the Left Hand fire and as of this morning was still burning. I caught a glimpse of the fire when i drove east and up into the mountains above the Naches river. It was closer than i had imagined to hwy 410.

My goal was to find small streams suitable for wet wading with a 2wt. I bought a GMU map of the area at the Puyallup sportman's show last winter, so i found many options for smaller streams that drain into the Naches system. Fish were found. The dumb ones attacked my small caddis hot butt fly and i hooked up with maybe one in 20 strikes. Most fish in the 7 inch range. Cutties and Rainbows, the bows usually jumped numerous times. Smallest was 4", largest 10" Fun stuff. I will be back next year. Plenty more small blue lines to explore.

CK

Nice report Greg. I'm heading that way in a few weeks. What is the name/brand of the canopy over the picnic table? Do you like it?

Chris Bailey

WFF Supporter
Hey Greg, we may have been neighbors back in the day. What group was your Grandparents' cabin in? I'm in Indian Flat, probably one group down, a couple miles down river from the Bumping Road. I'm fortunate that I now own my Grandparents old cabin where I grew up. We were up there that same weekend and was thankful it was windy on Saturday to keep the smoke away. I stuck to the larger blue line and did OK. I do, however, really enjoy the smaller sections of the Little Naches and the upper Bumping River, despite the size and quantity shortcomings with the fish.

By the way, for a cool $2 million, you could be the new owner of Whistlin Jack's. I really hope they get a good buyer soon.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Nice report Greg. I'm heading that way in a few weeks. What is the name/brand of the canopy over the picnic table? Do you like it?
It is a REI brand that I purchased back when REI actually warrantied their brand of goods for life. A supporting pole broke last fall in eastern wa desert heavy wind. REI did NOTHING for me in warranty. They no longer make the canopy which is too bad cause I like it. I purchased it for my wife because we used to do an annual car camp trip to blue lake in central WA. Having the flexibility of putting up walls makes cooking on s Coleman stove in wind much more enjoyable. If you stskr it properly it stays up a ven in amazing gustes.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Cabin 10, first road to left after going over bridge on road to bumping. It is directly across from the road going up to the old American ski area

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
I'm thinking about buying a family size pellet barbecue/ smoker, and could use some experienced type advice. Any difference between an Oregon and Chinese Traeger?

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
A knowledgeable person with a good attitude informed me that the Oregon (USA) made Traegers are built with thicker metal and will probably last longer and are easily found on CraigsList. Where are you new Mr. Moderator, nobody needs a response like I received from bonehead jack. Don't respond if you can't be constructive and positive, no need for vulgarity.

jersey

livin' the dream
A knowledgeable person with a good attitude informed me that the Oregon (USA) made Traegers are built with thicker metal and will probably last longer and are easily found on CraigsList. Where are you new Mr. Moderator, nobody needs a response like I received from bonehead jack. Don't respond if you can't be constructive and positive, no need for vulgarity.
Maybe start a new thread? You’ll get answers to your question.. easy on the response blood pressure, it’s not a big deal.

Folks with info on smokers aren’t looking in a thread titled Little Naches Camping

There’s also a search feature.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Maybe start a new thread? You’ll get answers to your question.. easy on the response blood pressure, it’s not a big deal.

Folks with info on smokers aren’t looking in a thread titled Little Naches Camping

Thanks for the help jersey, I'll check it out

Porter

Always had success with little red/orange colored leeches on a floater on the Little Naches ...beautiful trout in that river. Miss it big time

Phish Guy

That whole general area combined with an October Caddis hatch is the most fun I’ve had fly fishing! What an area: beautiful scenery, wildlife all over, lots of fish.

never been to jacks, but I’ve been to mountain mamas a few times... mama makes a dang good breakfast.

Porter

So did someone buy and takeover Jacks? Q’s thinking it was for sale or
closing for some reason :confused:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts