Okuma Sanibel 8/9 reel NEED HELP

Easttexasangler

I mean if it's worth a decent amount of money is I'll sell it but if it's just average I will just get into fly-fishing kinda already started, anyone want it badly? And what does nfr mean ?

Shad

An Okuma fly reel is worth less than what you paid for it, no matter how much that was (though they do make some decent gear fishing stuff). Might as well fish it!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
What do you like to fish for? An 8/9 rod & reel is a pretty big gun for trout and trout flies. E TX sounds like bass is very popular. An 8/9 is right in the ballpark for tossing big wind resistant deer hair bass bugs. You might check a local library for a book on fly fishing for bass. The L.L Bean Fly Fishing for Bass Handbook by Dave Whitlock is dated (1988) but covers the basics very well and is widely available online for a just few bucks. Lots of other information out there to help you decide if you want to invest in a rod, flies, and a line if you want to fish with deer hair popper and diver surface flies because it would appear the line on the reel looks like a sink-tip.

BTW, bass on a fly rod with poppers and divers can be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Easttexasangler

What do you like to fish for? An 8/9 rod & reel is a pretty big gun for trout and trout flies. E TX sounds like bass is very popular. An 8/9 is right in the ballpark for tossing big wind resistant deer hair bass bugs. You might check a local library for a book on fly fishing for bass. The L.L Bean Fly Fishing for Bass Handbook by Dave Whitlock is dated (1988) but covers the basics very well and is widely available online for a just few bucks. Lots of other information out there to help you decide if you want to invest in a rod, flies, and a line if you want to fish with deer hair popper and diver surface flies because it would appear the line on the reel looks like a sink-tip.

Thank you, will definitely get more into it

Easttexasangler

But yeah plenty of bass and I do eventually want to get to some rivers and get some trout and can this handle sea?

Adam Saarinen

Now i think you are going to need to rods, a 8 or 9 wt, 8 would be good for bass bugs, 9 better for bigger pike flies, but 8 is still good for smaller pike flies, monster still like small pike flies. 5wt for trout! Welcome to a crazy world!

Steve Saville

Welcome. The world of fly rods/reels is infinite. First you need to decide what you want to fish for, Then decide your budget. Once those are satisfied it's time to go shopping. If you are after trout, then I would settle on a 5 or 6 wt. The preferences have change in recent years with the technology. A good choice for trout would be a 5 wt. unless you have a bunch of big fish in your area. Then a 6 might be better. A good choice might be an Echo Base outfit. It will set you back a bit, I think about $250 but you get a rod, reel, and a well matched line, ready to fish. Echo has stepped up their game recently and the combination is a very good entry level outfit. If that's too much, you can find other combinations at local sporting goods stores that will work. You will probably outgrow them depending on how serious you are. Then I might suggest some lessons if you can afford them so you don't start out badly and get worse. After, or at about the same time, I'd find a club to join. You will find most clubs have someone who teaches casting free and there is always a lot of free information, outings, and presentations that will expand your knowledge of fly fishing. You will probably find a fishing buddy and/or a mentor to get you through the first few years of the experience. Then pass it on to the next new fly fisher who needs help.

Latest posts