Favorite striper patterns for Block Island

Jaybird

A couple buddies and i that normally do a western trout trip are heading east instead this September to Block Island to try our hand at stripers/bluefish/albies. This is a totally new fishery to me, so trying to prepare as best as possible. We have a guide the 1st day and then hiking the beaches on our own for a couple days. What are your "must have" flies primarily for stripers for late september?

SlowFish

I grew up in Rhody! under rated beaches, don't waste any time on the Cape if you're tempted. Didn't fish BI but once or twice so I'm not too familiar with the island itself. Anyway, pretty simple fly wise. Deceivers, deep (weighted) clousers were the go to. Surf Candy a bit too. Different colors, vary retrieve, vary depth. Pretty standard stuff. I would wait until after you go out with to buy to much gear. See what he uses and buy that. Eat some little necks, have a gansett.

jersey

livin' the dream
Be careful there! It’s dangerous...rookies are typically broke, sunburn, and completely hammered on the way out to the Ferry.

Stripers online forum has a search feature....

cms829

We go every year except this past year because we bought a house.

I always did best with light pink/light yellow clousers and such. All the usual flies will work though. If theres one tip I could give you it would be to fish from dusk till dawn. I've had some wild nights out there. Never much going on during the day unless you're there in early to mid sept - if so, fish the coast guard channel during the day and your sure to find albacore and bonita busting bait on the surface. Its a wild time. Be careful on the rocks and jetty's. Think about how you would land a fish BEFORE you hook up.

Be EXTREMELY careful if your fishing the north rip. Do NOT go in the water there. Best by boat. Its a special place. Definitely let us know how you do! Im jealous. Hopefully we get back next year.

Edit - just noticed you said late sept. May be a little late for albies...but you should have some larger bass around for sure!

kmudgn

Nothing secret about the flies. Lefty's Deceiver in a variety of colors (especially green), and crab patterns in pink/red are always my go to salt flies. Also, good book about salt flies if you tie your own:
Striped Bass Flies by Dave Klausmeyer

I have not been to RI to fish in a number of years, but oddly there was a lack of fly fishing stores on the island when I was last there. There were a couple of charter places, but I can't remember a fly store on the island itself so BYOF

cms829

Theres only two shops on the island. BI fishworks is tiny but has a good fly selection. Always did better with sparse clousers and such.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
There's a good Facebook page for this:
"Northeast Saltwater Fly Fishing."
I would be using Clousers and Deceivers, and a few surface patterns like snakes, sliders and poppers. From size 4 to 2/0 hooks. Have some smaller surf candy, too- around 2 to 3 inches, size 4 hooks. I liked Kenny Abrhams flies, the Rhody Flatwing in particular. Baitfish flies should look like the local baitfish. I always did better with white and pale gray, pale blue and green. Black flies work well in low light conditions and at night. Very little flash or tinsel. By autumn there's some very big "Bunker" menhaden around. You can barely tie a big enough fly. 6 to 8 inches on 4/0 hooks would be half the size for a good imitation. Big Deceivers will work. Always with a single barbless hook. That's a rocky coastline. I would be using a good quality 10 or 11 weight rod, 9 feet long. So use heavy monofilament or fluorocarbon leaders and tippets, 12 to 20 pound test. If you get surrounded by schoolies you can go lighter. But if you're fishing deep, and at night, go heavier. Boat fishing is very different from shore fishing there. You'll need local knowledge for the best access this time of year. Reach out to those New England guys too.

radiowires

There will definitely be albies around in Sept. For the albies, I like to use a fly called a surf candy, basically an enamel head sand eel. Bonito should also be around. Surf candies in light pink, chartreuse/white and olive/white should all do well. I've fished the Vineyard very heavily over the last decade and it's a similar fishery.

Jaybird

Some great info here from you guys! Really appreciate it and cant wait to get after em in September. Ill be sure to post an update upon returning.

Jaybird

There's a good Facebook page for this:
"Northeast Saltwater Fly Fishing."
I would be using Clousers and Deceivers, and a few surface patterns like snakes, sliders and poppers. From size 4 to 2/0 hooks. Have some smaller surf candy, too- around 2 to 3 inches, size 4 hooks. I liked Kenny Abrhams flies, the Rhody Flatwing in particular. Baitfish flies should look like the local baitfish. I always did better with white and pale gray, pale blue and green. Black flies work well in low light conditions and at night. Very little flash or tinsel. By autumn there's some very big "Bunker" menhaden around. You can barely tie a big enough fly. 6 to 8 inches on 4/0 hooks would be half the size for a good imitation. Big Deceivers will work. Always with a single barbless hook. That's a rocky coastline. I would be using a good quality 10 or 11 weight rod, 9 feet long. So use heavy monofilament or fluorocarbon leaders and tippets, 12 to 20 pound test. If you get surrounded by schoolies you can go lighter. But if you're fishing deep, and at night, go heavier. Boat fishing is very different from shore fishing there. You'll need local knowledge for the best access this time of year. Reach out to those New England guys too.
Bob,

As far a the leader goes, would you just start with say 50 lb mono/flouro and build it down to 15-20 lb?

cms829

I know it was directed at bob, but for stripers go with straight 15. Just my opinion and what ive always used on BI. Albies in the sun you may have to tone it down a bit. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
I know it was directed at bob, but for stripers go with straight 15. Just my opinion and what ive always used on BI. Albies in the sun you may have to tone it down a bit. Good luck!!
Great point. As noted in my reply, one can step down or up in strength, diameter, length etc., depending on the situation.

radiowires

One suggestion for striped bass is to fish a short leader, no more than 6 ft total. It helps significantly with the hook set, casting, etc. Also, large striped bass have quite hard cartilage in their mouths, so the strip set becomes important.

Latest posts