Favorite striper patterns for Block Island

Thirdcoast

Long-time Masshole here who recently relocated to the PNW. I’ve spent many a day chasing funnyfish (false albacore) and then transitioning to the night shift for the stripers. A bunch of great insight shared already by those above, can’t say I disagree with any of it.

Two things I’ll add. First, the value of a stripping basket cannot be understated, especially if you plan on fishing in the surf and/or in the rocks. Oftentimes when you’re targeting bass, especially at night, you wont even need to step into the water as they will be right in the first trough, but during the day and/or when fishing for the albies, the basket will really help with line management and will give you that extra distance you’ll oftentimes need to reach breaking fish.

Second, there is no such thing as too small a fly when it comes to the funnyfish/bonito. As the season progresses they oftentimes will get incredibly finicky and key into super small “rain bait”—small anchovies and/or silversides. I’ve had days where the only thing I’ve been able to get a bite on was a size 8 (yes, you read that correctly) clear surf candies about an inch to an inch and a half long.

The bass usually aren’t as finicky, but as I believe was mentioned above, the mantra of “less is more” as is oftentimes spoken by the steelhead chasers here can be applied equally as well to fly selection back east. In other words, as a general rule sparse flies will outfish fully-dressed flies. This probably has to do with the fact that most forage species are rather thin-bodied, i.e., silversides, sand eels and anchovies. that being said, the cow stripers are particularly fond that time of year of large menhaden, as well as squid and American eels.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
A couple buddies and i that normally do a western trout trip are heading east instead this September to Block Island to try our hand at stripers/bluefish/albies. This is a totally new fishery to me, so trying to prepare as best as possible. We have a guide the 1st day and then hiking the beaches on our own for a couple days. What are your "must have" flies primarily for stripers for late september?
Black and white poppers

Latest posts