the pot head that killed my sister managed to cross a grass median & three lanes of traffic. I would say his motor skills were impaired & it didn't seem to help his driving skills, so I say bullshit on your theory that weed doesn't affect your reaction times or motor skills. Google , Nancy Van etten & you can see what she looks like lying dead on the road to Mt .Hood under a tarp
thats pretty heavy and i feel for you. my final thought is cannabis may contribute at times and could be to blame in this case (im not familiar with the circumstance). cell phones, disagreements, improper sleep, etc can all cause tragedy. driving is really dangerous even while sober.

I'm quite familiar with the syndrome and have both read about it and seen it first hand. I have a hard time believing it's something outside the cannabis having a effect on the body and here is why. It's pretty damn random. It's not like its coming all from one shop/dealer or in one area which would pin point one grower doing things wrong or adding a chemical to the process. It's a growing problem too because it's a difficult diagnosis and because people don't believe their vomiting is caused by it so they go right back to smoking and they can become repeat visits to the ER. This is no where near as taxing to the system as meth use or alcohol abuse but it is a growing problem and people should be aware of it as a side effect IMHO.
im on board with the newest theory that the (cb1?) receptor stops working in the body because of the overabuyndance of THC in the blood. i will try to PM you the most recent research. I may be a stoner at heart, but my passion for cannabis really is rooted in its ability to help people heal.

I'm quite familiar with the syndrome and have both read about it and seen it first hand. I have a hard time believing it's something outside the cannabis having a effect on the body and here is why. It's pretty damn random. It's not like its coming all from one shop/dealer or in one area which would pin point one grower doing things wrong or adding a chemical to the process.
Random, as in it randomly afflicts a given individual? Or random in that it affects random people in the population. Pretty important difference.

Some people shouldn't drink. Some people shouldn't toke. That's just how it is. Some people shouldn't eat peanuts, some people shouldn't eat _______. That's just how it is. But that's a long ways from having anything resembling a public health concern.

As somebody who used to get what was considered the best pot ever n the 90s I must say the potency of today’s weed is out of control. I buy the weak shit. Nobody needs 30% THC.

Im guessing what Billy is seeing is the equivalent of a kid trying drinking by having a pint of rum their first time.
This, over and over. I do get annoyed at how much of it is orriented towards 20+% thc. If you haven't seen the reports of cops who call 911 (on themselves) after trying confiscated pot, you're missing out.

We're in the early stages of this. It will settle out eventually. The complete lack of research on a medical and federal level thanks to our largely useless government is primarily responsible for the blanks in our knowledge. (The inability to talk about it openly being the other key factor.)

Random, as in it randomly afflicts a given individual? Or random in that it affects random people in the population. Pretty important difference.

Some people shouldn't drink. Some people shouldn't toke. That's just how it is. Some people shouldn't eat peanuts, some people shouldn't eat _______. That's just how it is. But that's a long ways from having anything resembling a public health concern.
Randomly effects users of chronic cannabis. Potentially up to 1 out of 3 people or 2.5 million users in this country. Would this be cause for a public health concern? Something every ER in the country would recognize in a patient? Seems to me that is worth mentioning vs people saying no side effects from the roof top. And yes being in the health care field it seems that prevalent.

Randomly effects users of chronic cannabis. Potentially up to 1 out of 3 people or 2.5 million users in this country. Would this be cause for a public health concern? Something every ER in the country would recognize in a patient? Seems to me that is worth mentioning vs people saying no side effects from the roof top. And yes being in the health care field it seems that prevalent.
Are you saying one out of three pot smokers have been to the ER for smoking pot? I’ve known dozens and none have been to the hospital for it.

Wow, am I the only person in WA that is embarrassed to have this disgusting stuff legalized? Having been an educator for many years I have seen what this stuff does to young people! I am also quite aware of the short and long-term effects it imposes. And to say it is safer than alcohol does not make it any healthier in the long run! Smoking anything causes cancer.
I Hate the Stuff. And it IS a gateway drug. Have seen it from junior high enticing young people to just try this. And oh just try this. Total Lie.

jersey

livin' the dream
It came from my education and ability to articulate myself. A black or Latino man without such an education because of where they grew up would not have been so lucky. That is the greatest problem here.
This statement is such BS, it’s embarrassing. You don’t know what others are capable, so leave your educated estimation about their ability to reason out of it. Race has no place in this context. It's not the greatest problem here by a long shot. It’s your jackass play of not knowing the laws and you caught a break.

Stick to your OP and leave your highly educated racial opinions next to your weed, hopefully better hidden next time.

As somebody who used to get what was considered the best pot ever n the 90s I must say the potency of today’s weed is out of control. I buy the weak shit. Nobody needs 30% THC.

Im guessing what Billy is seeing is the equivalent of a kid trying drinking by having a pint of rum their first time.
Put the 98% honey crystal distillate down and walk away....this for the big dogs! ..you puppies run along :)

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I have noticed how the same strain of weed randomly effects some people differently than it does others. Some folks seem to relax and loosen up, and enjoy their high, while others seem to become more self conscious and even mildly paranoid, as if they aren't really enjoying the experience.

Physiologically, smoking weed causes the capillaries in your lungs and heart tissue to stiffen for a period of approximately 60 to 90 minutes. This makes your heart have to work harder to deliver the same amount of oxygen to your tissues. After about 60 to 90 minutes, this negatory effect diminishes, and your capillaries, vessels and arteries regain their normal elasticity. Intensely working out while your capillaries are temporarily stiffened right after smoking weed can be harmful to your heart. If your heartbeat is slightly irregular already, then it might get even more irregular due to working out just after smoking weed.
Lets say you like to fire up a joint prior to a workout, or going for a run, paddle, bike ride, or anything that gets your cardio pumped up...well,...I'm advising you that you might want to quit doing that. Save the weed smoking for AFTER your period of intense activity is over.
I used to smoke dope prior to athletic activity. A woman I used to know once told me that she thought that she had noticed my heart beating with an irregular rhythm. I felt great, and so I didn't let that concern me.

My overall conditioning felt worse after I quit surfing for a while to heal shoulder injuries. I was smoking weed at least a couple of times a week. And knocking back a couple of sixers per week. When I resumed surfing, I got out of breath more quickly, and each paddle back out after a ride became major work...and this in only 2 to 3 foot high summer waves. I still didn't realize that I had AFIB, still believing that I was only a bit out of shape more than I'd expected to be, due to my time off from surfing, but that I would soon whip myself back into fighting form. Yeah...
Smoking anything...even a whiff of campfire smoke, is bad if you have AFIB. Particulate matter, tars, and chemicals...its that stuff which does the harm, NOT the THC.
My cardiologist advises me to avoid inhaling any smoke at all. He's not sure about vaping THC extract. He thinks "edibles" may be fine, although he does not recommend any recreational drugs.

Pot has gotten a lot stronger since the 70's. I remember red hair and Acapulco gold. Then sensimila (sp?) came onto the scene. They are nothing compared to nowadays. Maui Wowie and BC bud blows them away. I agree with a previous poster about not smoking 30% THC buds. I prefer to smoke lower % of THC and adding Kief when I want a mind and body numbing high. It helps that I do not smoke alot so I get higher and more relaxed off of less potent stuff.

IMHO smoking pot does affect driving. When I retired and started smoking again it definitely affected my driving. I lit up a joint on my way to Mt and decided to pull over until the effects were gone. Best decision I made for all drivers on the road...

THC is dose-dependant on each individuals effects. Adding to this: it also depends on strain genetics and potency. My sister suffers from Lupus and it helps her (in small doses) A LOT. Its illegal in Switzerland but no one gets punished in any way if caught with small amounts.
Scientifically its for sure an interesting plant. And of course, very controversial.
I sure got reminded that it became legal in WA when I pulled in the motel in Cle Elum last fall upon arrival at Seatac....out of the car and whooffff, the air was filled with that smell.
Gateway drug? I disagree. Personal opinion and scientifically valid. Again, dose-dependancy and frequency of use along with social life behaviour influence each individuals connection to THC.
be safe..

Are you saying one out of three pot smokers have been to the ER for smoking pot? I’ve known dozens and none have been to the hospital for it.
No. The study I read showed 1 in 3 chronic users could have the symptoms of CVS. There is a wide range of stats available as this is just coming on the scene in last 10 years. Still I think it is worth mentioning as a potential side effect.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
the pot head that killed my sister managed to cross a grass median & three lanes of traffic. I would say his motor skills were impaired & it didn't seem to help his driving skills, so I say bullshit on your theory that weed doesn't affect your reaction times or motor skills. Google , Nancy Van etten & you can see what she looks like lying dead on the road to Mt .Hood under a tarp
That's terrible and I feel you on this one!

We were discussing this issue while sitting in downtown Kirkland at my cigar smoking group. Some of us smoke pot at times and others regularly. I won't smoke before I drive though, just like to do it occasionally while fishing or camping. I will say prescribed meds can be worse or as bad as pot or alcohol, as I experienced yesterday with a few new prescriptions. After I took it, it felt like I was stoned out of my mind. I read the label and it said it might cause dizziness and/or drowsiness! Boy did it!! I was not driving and will not drive today once I take my next dose!

Latest posts