Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Where are the rangers when you need them?
Dang! I uttered the same phrase when I passed a shiny Gray new Jeep Rubicon scrambling on the beach about a half mile beyond the "No Motor Vehicles from April 15 Thru Labor Day" sign. I had my power-assist level set to its lowest setting on my pedal-assist bike (these bikes are legal on that stretch) and was being courteous and careful of folks walking the beach.
Then, after turning to head back south, I saw the ranger's truck speeding past me heading North. I pointed toward the dark spot way up the beach, and he was squinting at it as he raced by, looking like he was on a mission. One could only hope....

Dang! I uttered the same phrase when I passed a shiny Gray new Jeep Rubicon scrambling on the beach about a half mile beyond the "No Motor Vehicles from April 15 Thru Labor Day" sign. I had my power-assist level set to its lowest setting on my pedal-assist bike (these bikes are legal on that stretch) and was being courteous and careful of folks walking the beach.
Then, after turning to head back south, I saw the ranger's truck speeding past me heading North. I pointed toward the dark spot way up the beach, and he was squinting at it as he raced by, looking like he was on a mission. One could only hope....
So what damage did the ranger do chasing down a illiterate tourist?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
So what damage did the ranger do chasing down a illiterate tourist?
None. The idiot in the jeep appeared more ignorant than an illiterate tourist.There's too many folks of all ages with small kids and families enjoying the beach during the warm months (residents and tourists), so ya can't really tolerate the assholes squirreling around in their new 4wds on the same stretch of beach. They don't really need to be endangering the public with their fantasizing that the public enjoys watching them sqirrel on the beach in their new rigs (we don't). They just want to play, "Look at me!" That stretch is only about 3.5 miles long. There's 15 miles of beach that isn't posted, with far fewer people, except that you must avoid certain shorebird nesting areas.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Actually, there's a very welcome group of 4WD enthusiasts who show up here in their jeeps at least once a year to help clean the beaches.
On the hwy, I set my cruise control at only 4mph over the legal limit, just to stay safe. Everyone else is passing me out on the freeway. I got passed by a double trailer semi rig not too long ago on SR 8.
I stash any "contraband" in the "trunk area" next to my spare tire. There's a couple of small compartments back there. Totally out of sight and out of reach, and legal. I never let anyone smoke inside my rig, so it doesn't smell.

Last edited:
I remember when i was much younger, some friends/people i knew. That didn't smoke cigaretes, would mix tobbaco with their weed to make it last longer!?! Those were the people that ended up needing to smoke it all day everyday & too stupid to realize they had become adicted to nicotine!

I agree with this statement, however one should be cautious about rationalizing their particular vice on the basis of "Well, other people do this or that." That could become a very slippery slope. Moderation in all things.
My response was in regard to FinLuver stating "normal people do not need to introduce chemicals to their body to function". Never rationalized my vice. Never stated anything about my consumption habits. I pointed out that it would be difficult to find anyone who does not introduce a chemical into their system on a daily basis to help them function.

I agree with you too, Jim, and mean no disrespect. It can be easy to compare yourself to others to justify your or other peoples behavior or habits and that is a slippery slope. We can always find examples of people who are "worse" than us.

What I get hung up on is the outrage, blanket statements and judgement from people who, based off their statements, do not appear to be educated on a subject. Pot has it's negatives, so does gluten and caffeine. I pointed out some other substances that many people consume on a daily basis that have larger health risks then cannabis. My intention was to spark some critical thinking and maybe shift some perspectives. What I got was snarky responses from FinLuver and accusations that I have "physical and mental issues". The dude from Office Space would be very happy about the different conclusions he jumped to.
1565798525010.png

Look at some of the reasons expressed in this thread why it’s ok to smoke or eat weed. Some are not factual, but the argument can be rational and therefore more agreeable. The yes-chain. It would be better, in my opinion, to just say, “I really like getting high” and drop the mic’.
those aren't "reasons why it's ok" - they are arguments (cogent or not) in response to the "reasons it's [NOT] ok" (cogent or not). anything you want to put in your own body IS ok cause it's your body. how you interact with society once it's in you is a more nuanced topic but for some folks the goal is to avoid nuance through abstinence from everything the grown ups told them is naughty or risky (cogent or not). ALL people can rationalize anything, especially when they are in a playground war of one-upmanship.

It’s a yes-chain process. My interpretation of what @FinLuver meant is F’ed up people can rationalize anything... and walk you down the path to normalcy, according to them.
There is NO "yes chain" between pedophilia and the LGBT community, much less between sexual orientation and marijuana use. Just want to make sure your rationalization of someone else's complete and utter bullshit does not slip through the cracks, towards "normalcy".

Yes, "F'ed up people" can try to rationalize anything.

Latest posts