dflett68

WFF Supporter
The point I am trying to make here is that, to my mind, it all boils down to a person's decision to take that step and try that drug, whatever it may be. In my life I have had dalliances with heroin, cocaine, opiates and meth, all considered highly addictive, and never have they dominated my life. The problem to me seems to be that too often they accomplish the objective. For example, people who are depressed and wish to blot out the things that are bringing them down, heroin certainly works and is preferable, (to them at least) and cheaper, than going to a psychiatrist. And if it works, you are going to keep doing it, regardless.
But getting back to the point of this thread, it is ridiculous to continue oppressing marijuana users when tobacco and alcohol, two drugs that have taken millions of lives, are still legal. 'Nuff said.
i do get your point and if i only had my own personal experience to go on, i'd probably be of one mind with you. but i'm too close to a couple of addicts to believe that addiction isn't a real thing for some people.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
This thread is the litmus test for the ignore function. Many of my pages are about 3-5 posts until I hit the see ignored posts button. Classic stuff

I do see both sides of the argument. When I was a heavy smoker but had to quit for the trials I did see a change in my awareness/energy/cognitive whatevers...

As a guy who has been just taking the occasional puff at opportune times but quit recently for job related issue I see no change.

The lesson? EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
Salt
Beer
Drugs legal or not
Sun
Shit, even water will kill you if you drink too much of it.

jamma

This thread is the litmus test for the ignore function. Many of my pages are about 3-5 posts until I hit the see ignored posts button. Classic stuff

I do see both sides of the argument. When I was a heavy smoker but had to quit for the trials I did see a change in my awareness/energy/cognitive whatevers...

As a guy who has been just taking the occasional puff at opportune times but quit recently for job related issue I see no change.

The lesson? EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
Salt
Beer
Drugs legal or not
Sun
Shit, even water will kill you if you drink too much of it.
...including moderation!

Reactions: JS

jamma

When our company was bought out the incoming bunch had a strange drug program. They didn't test for marijuana but if you had an accident and tested positive, you were done. Alcohol? If you were anywhere under the legal limit they were fine with that. I tried to tell the union to see if they could get the state limit of 50 nanograms/ml for pot but they had no clue, even argued against it.

jamma

i do get your point and if i only had my own personal experience to go on, i'd probably be of one mind with you. but i'm too close to a couple of addicts to believe that addiction isn't a real thing for some people.
Not saying it's not a real thing, it's effect on the user and their families can be devastating. Just saying it's more a product of a state of mind than what's being abused, regardless of whether it's drugs or gambling or, dare I say it, flyfishing. It's the reason AA members say they are never cured, you can eliminate the source but if you can't change the mindset you will always be liable to backsliding.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts