Yard Sale

Huge Member
Driving stoned? Not cool.

Fishing stoned? Just fine. Shit, the way our fisheries are now you should get a discount by showing your salmon/steelhead tags.

Vaping has largely eliminated the “smoking” health risks.

Washington made $319 million in tax revenue from weed in 2017. About the same last year.

Dustin Bise

For me it all comes down to impairment: if someone is drunk or stoned at work, in my NOT HUMBLE opinion, that is wrong. Maybe in your line of work that's okay but the reference was to technical work. Working on or around the equipment in the power industry (that's what I did), impairment (and inattention) caused accidents, equipment damage and one death during my tenure in the business.
for what its worth my work is extremely technical. we operate state of the art equipment here involving large amounts of hydrocarbon gasses both in high pressure and vacuum environments. we are tracked in our every move by the state and have some very complex books to keep. almost everyone here consumes from time to time, and we dont smoke at work because not every pothead is a 24/7 addict (and there are really no physical withdrawal symptoms).

the root problem with your agrument in my eyes, is that you don't understand the effects of tolerance, or even to what extent the "intoxication" involves with cannabis. Lets keep in mind that cannabis, unlike alcohol, is a non toxic substance. The LD50 for cannabis is for all intensive purposes achievable.

But ask a pro snowboarder or skiier that smokes if smoking a joint impairs their ability to do huge jumps, ski through trees at mach 1, or drop some cliff lines. Now ask them if they could do the same after some drinking. I hate to break it to ya, but its apples to oranges. Cannabis does not drastically effect motor skills or reaction times, and there are many high level athletes who feel it IMPROVES their ability to focus and operate in activities that require skill, reaction, and focus.

i dont drive stoned. its a huge legal risk.

Dustin Bise

From healthline.com. Just an FYI. I could care less about pot one way or the other but if you believe it is physically harmless you might be in denial.
first off, healthline.com, is a real authority. how about you link the actual sources to your claims..... Second, if you believe cannabis isnt a plant with healing properties, you might be in denial.

Dustin Bise

There can be certain side effects of marijuana use we see in the hospital setting including uncontrolled vomiting to the point they need to be hospitalized with iv's and hydration and electrolyte replacement. Unfortunately there isn't a specific test for this so it gets to be a expensive visit as we rule out a host of other things. Often a tell tale sign we see is the patient has a almost uncontrolled urge to shower as the running hot water gives some relief. Often these patients can be hospitalized for a few days. The second thing we see is asthma related and of course smoking makes it worst. So it does have some side effects. Of course we see a ton of liver failure from alcohol too. My guess is like anything in life a little moderate marijuana use is ok but this can be hard for some people. The impaired driver situation be it alcohol or marijuana or oxycodone or what ever is scary.

come on billy. lets be clear. not all "marijuana" is good. it can be (esp in the balckmarket) contaminated with microbes, pesticides, heavy metals etc. Your anecdotes could be caused by a wide variety of things that are not cannabis, but were ingested while injecting the cannabis. this is part of why regulation is good, but the state is FAILING at keeping the growers safe and honest at this point.

Furthermore, what your describing is a know syndrome called CHS Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. Research is showing mixed results from what can cause this. Some say its Neem Oil Poisoning (a common and allowed pesticide in washington). Other results show it is a glitch in the endocannabinoid system in our bodies. If you would like links to the scientific papers I can track them down for you, as someone who is providing care for this often, you should be well informed on it. It rarely is occuring outside of chronic users. We are talking 10-20 joints a day type smoking.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576702/

Yard Sale

Huge Member
My experience is that pot affects my response time in a fairly obvious way.

I did an Olympic trials before it was a banned substance stoned. My starts sucked because I was slow to get going. Once off the line I had much better speed because I was much more in the groove. Tactically it evened out because second guessing yourself was just as bad as a wrong initial decision. In the end we called it a wash but the physical effects(mostly dehydration) was the overriding factor.

KerryS

Ignored Member
first off, healthline.com, is a real authority. how about you link the actual sources to your claims..... Second, if you believe cannabis isnt a plant with healing properties, you might be in denial.
What I posted are direct quotes from healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/addiction/marijuana/effects-on-body#1 I’ve used them before to research cancer and everything they gave me turned out spot on. You don’t like what they say debunked it. I did not post anything about whether cannabis does or does not have healing power so I have no idea why you are attacking me for something that is not even included in my post.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
for what its worth my work is extremely technical. we operate state of the art equipment here involving large amounts of hydrocarbon gasses both in high pressure and vacuum environments. we are tracked in our every move by the state and have some very complex books to keep. almost everyone here consumes from time to time, and we dont smoke at work because not every pothead is a 24/7 addict (and there are really no physical withdrawal symptoms).

the root problem with your agrument in my eyes, is that you don't understand the effects of tolerance, or even to what extent the "intoxication" involves with cannabis. Lets keep in mind that cannabis, unlike alcohol, is a non toxic substance. The LD50 for cannabis is for all intensive purposes achievable.

But ask a pro snowboarder or skiier that smokes if smoking a joint impairs their ability to do huge jumps, ski through trees at mach 1, or drop some cliff lines. Now ask them if they could do the same after some drinking. I hate to break it to ya, but its apples to oranges. Cannabis does not drastically effect motor skills or reaction times, and there are many high level athletes who feel it IMPROVES their ability to focus and operate in activities that require skill, reaction, and focus.

i dont drive stoned. its a huge legal risk.
the pot head that killed my sister managed to cross a grass median & three lanes of traffic. I would say his motor skills were impaired & it didn't seem to help his driving skills, so I say bullshit on your theory that weed doesn't affect your reaction times or motor skills. Google , Nancy Van etten & you can see what she looks like lying dead on the road to Mt .Hood under a tarp

tkww

.....Are you one of those guys that run around preaching tolerance and acceptance of others, that is until someone has a different opinion than you or interferes with your agenda, in which then namecalling is completely appropriate and warranted?
There's only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intollerant of other people's culutures...and the Dutch.

FinLuver

I actually kind of liked how it made me feel because i’m Type A and it makes me feel like a more normal person.
Or like an impaired person. The normalcy coming from the fact that others partaking were impaired too, which in your impaired state of mind... felt normal.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
“Much like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke is made up of a variety of toxic chemicals, including ammonia and hydrogen cyanide, which can irritate your bronchial passages and lungs. If you’re a regular smoker, you’re more likely to wheeze, cough, and produce phlegm. You’re also at an increased risk of bronchitis and lung infections. Marijuana may aggravate existing respiratory illnesses, such as asthma and cystic fibrosis.”

“Marijuana smoke contains carcinogens, so it may increase your risk of lung cancer too. However, studies on the subject have had mixed results. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA), there is no conclusive evidence that marijuana smoke causes lung cancer. More research is needed.”

From healthline.com. Just an FYI. I could care less about pot one way or the other but if you believe it is physically harmless you might be in denial.
They can’t even correlate cannabis smoke to a reduction in lung FEV, let alone cancer. But, there are non combustible options available so that too is no longer a worry

Buzzy

Dustin - I'm learning a little bit about pot farming here, and I do apologize for implying it isn't technical. I was thinking back about a stoned (he admitted to smoking a doobie) hydro operator and the consequences from his being high and not following operational sequences when synchronizing a 90 MW unit to the system: inattention.

I know not all potheads are addicts, just like not all drinkers are alcoholics. I'm sure heavy pot smoking builds up tolerance, the same is true for drinking alcohol. I don't care if cannabis is non-toxic but don't try and pass off that smoking that stuff and inhaling it into your lungs is good for health. You can argue that all day and I won't buy it. I do believe pot, marijuana, cannabis - whatever the current popular term for it is, has medicinal value for pain relief, for cancer patients, appetite stimulation, etc. I won't discount that at all.

It just isn't for me so enough is enough. Be well.

b_illymac

Member Active
come on billy. lets be clear. not all "marijuana" is good. it can be (esp in the balckmarket) contaminated with microbes, pesticides, heavy metals etc. Your anecdotes could be caused by a wide variety of things that are not cannabis, but were ingested while injecting the cannabis. this is part of why regulation is good, but the state is FAILING at keeping the growers safe and honest at this point.

Furthermore, what your describing is a know syndrome called CHS Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. Research is showing mixed results from what can cause this. Some say its Neem Oil Poisoning (a common and allowed pesticide in washington). Other results show it is a glitch in the endocannabinoid system in our bodies. If you would like links to the scientific papers I can track them down for you, as someone who is providing care for this often, you should be well informed on it. It rarely is occuring outside of chronic users. We are talking 10-20 joints a day type smoking.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576702/
I'm quite familiar with the syndrome and have both read about it and seen it first hand. I have a hard time believing it's something outside the cannabis having a effect on the body and here is why. It's pretty damn random. It's not like its coming all from one shop/dealer or in one area which would pin point one grower doing things wrong or adding a chemical to the process. It's a growing problem too because it's a difficult diagnosis and because people don't believe their vomiting is caused by it so they go right back to smoking and they can become repeat visits to the ER. This is no where near as taxing to the system as meth use or alcohol abuse but it is a growing problem and people should be aware of it as a side effect IMHO.

Latest posts