UV cure

thesankers

I wasn't aware that home Depot had UV cure products. Going to check it out the next time I have to there (generally each of my projects take several trips before I get it right).

NRC

Kind of curious if anybody has used any of the stuff for women's nails?
Following Nick Clayton’s YouTube flybtying advice, I’ve been using Sally Hansens tough as nails to toughen up my saltwater flies. Usually applying to thread or tinsel wraps around the hook shank which might otherwise come unraveled after slamming a rock. It seems to help. It’s not useful for building heads or anything like that, though. Too thin.

Pokie

I have used all the Loon UV products, Sally Hansen's hard as nails, hobby store and Home Depot cyanoacrylates, and various epoxy resins. For a comparison of UV glues, I have found this site to be very useful https://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/10/uv-resin-shootout.html. What I disliked about the UV resins, was the tackyness, sticky residue, even after UV curing. I had a difficult time determining whether the glue needed more UV time. Also, the glue was not as durable as I would have liked. After a few casts, snags, ..etc and the outer coating had peeled off. I have since moved onto to using cyanoacrylate from Home Depot which requires longer curing time but will sustain more abuse. Of course, the best resin will depend on the material which it is being applied.

Squamishpoacher

Loon always dries tacky. Wiping it with an alcohol swab after curing helps. Solarez dries hard and tack-free but some people have had an allergic reaction to it. Sally Hansen Hard as Nails is nice to apply but I can't say that I like the lingering odour of it when I open a flybox of freshly tied flies.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Following Nick Clayton’s YouTube flybtying advice, I’ve been using Sally Hansens tough as nails to toughen up my saltwater flies. Usually applying to thread or tinsel wraps around the hook shank which might otherwise come unraveled after slamming a rock. It seems to help. It’s not useful for building heads or anything like that, though. Too thin.
Thanks I've seen Nick's stuff. Very helpful. But yes
i'm sorry my truthful answer wasnt what you were looking for

No worries. Just poking a little fun at ya. Welcome to the WFF. I've fished alot for many years. Feel free to reach out with any questions

Camo Clad Warrior

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!
I still have not played with the UV cure much. It is something i need to do but every time I am at the fly shop I see the price of all the stuff and cringe.

I use some of the Loon products, along with old school lacquer to finish my flies.

Mrdiecky

Salmonid DDS
The amazon 3 pack of uv cure with the 27 led light works great. Is like $16. Has thick, thin and flex. Doesn't dry tacky and no odor to speak of