A Thought On Fishing Access Sites

Buzzy

This time of year, at least on weekends, the Yakima River has a huge innertube hatch. Bus loads of every imaginable kind of floating device loaded with 99% non-anglers. Fun to watch and since I don't fish the Yak (this time of year) it doesn't affect me. I have a hard time believing that all these fun seekers pack out what they pack in but maybe. A lot of the folks come in buses otherwise I can't imagine what the parking would be like in the canyon.

I've often wondered how several hundred floating devices loaded with noisy people affects fishing?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Before I left Washington for Montana. There was a big push on user passes for fishing access site in Washington. The Rangers were coming down on people using the access site without a sticker. In the Summer time you could hardly find a place to park and fish for all the floaters on the Rivers. The S/F stilly comes to mind. The access site just out of town below Granite Falls. could get quite crowded with floaters and they were a rude bunch.

JS

This time of year, at least on weekends, the Yakima River has a huge innertube hatch. Bus loads of every imaginable kind of floating device loaded with 99% non-anglers. Fun to watch and since I don't fish the Yak (this time of year) it doesn't affect me. I have a hard time believing that all these fun seekers pack out what they pack in but maybe. A lot of the folks come in buses otherwise I can't imagine what the parking would be like in the canyon.

I've often wondered how several hundred floating devices loaded with noisy people affects fishing?
It’s all the damn littering that bugs me. I am all for college kids doing their thing, but WSP is often too nice to them I think. If you started your float with 10 floaties and 200 beers, and you pulled into the take out with 4 floaties and 42 empties.....that math doesn't work. That should be a fatty littering ticket. And fuck a fine, they should do mandatory river cleanup.

Buzzy

@JS - I was trying to keep an open mind when I related the bit about the floating hoards. It seems to me many of the groups come in church buses and there are lots of families with small kids. That would, in my simple mind, diminish the beer can loss somewhat. Yes, the CWU bikini hatch - lots of partying, probably. Duh.

Sorry Dean if I'm detracting from your OP.

Reactions: JS

Kimball Leighton

Fish, Wildlife & Parks in Montana remains financed by user fees (hunt & fish licenses). Let other camels in the tent and FWP's constituency shifts from hunting/fishing to whoever else is paying the bills.

Guy Gregory

Most do pay, what with the Discover Pass and stuff. I'll suggest to you that just like free kids fishing, avoiding extraction of a few bucks from the tubers serves a higher purpose. When somebody wants to build a dam or something to trash a river, at least a few of them become constituents and show up to testify for the resource. Fewer voices means fewer river advocates.

And really, how much does it cost you even if you disagree that the Discover Pass is applied to access sites.

Of course, there are downsides to multiple use of resources, especially when your use conflicts with mine. But as long as everyone gets along, we still have a resource and advocates for it.

Close it, and just some folks have that use. Close off hunting access to everyone except those that can afford it, and next thing you know you've got no one to oppose a gun control initiative.

Let's take the long view, folks.

GeorgeV

Recently 12 people were rescued by the Kittitas Sheriff just above Ringer Road. They had their rafts tied together so they couldn't paddle/row away from danger. Signs at the access sites to not tie together, stay in the middle of the river and life jackets required or recommended should be installed. The WSP or Sheriff should patrol Canyon Road more in the afternoon. I'm 20 minutes from the river, I haven't fished it for 25 years, to many people.

Elliott5400

One time trying to launch at keechelus there was a group having a picknick and water play date at the designated BOAT launch.

They literally would not move as we were trying to approach. It took us putting our hands up in the air saying "really?!" to get them to slowly move with huge lip and attitude.

If they wanna play in the access fisherman pay for, they need to pay up as well.

WA-Fly

It’s all the damn littering that bugs me. I am all for college kids doing their thing, but WSP is often too nice to them I think. If you started your float with 10 floaties and 200 beers, and you pulled into the take out with 4 floaties and 42 empties.....that math doesn't work. That should be a fatty littering ticket. And fuck a fine, they should do mandatory river cleanup.
I 100 percent agree, everytime I float in a tube I pack everything out it isnt hard and it sickens me to pull up on a gravel bar covered with beer cans and popped floaties

SawyerJones

I've worked for various state and federal land management agencies for 7+ years, specifically in recreation.

in my experience there certainly is not enough money to manage high use areas, yet more money is NOT the answer, in my opinion. There is a significant difficulty that is systemic in most agencies in regards to hiring and retaining MOTIVATED, knowledgeable and passionate staff to actually manage these areas and to enforce laws and regulations.

State agencies in WA specifically do not pay a competitive enough rate to retain the type of talent needed to do a better job in managing these areas and even if there was a gigantic influx of revenue for them it would almost certainly NOT go to increased wages or the creation of USEFUL new positions.

Maybe it would result in a FEW new jobs, that would most likely be limited term positions catered to young college students - resulting in ineffective productivity.

Most of the discovery pass revenue goes specifically to state parks hard budget operating expenditures and dissolves rapidly.

In my opinion its almost a hopeless situation. Education of the public on proper ethics in our wildlands is very important, and connecting with others as often as we can to kindly pass on such information is always a good idea.

I've resorted to beating feet way off trail in headwaters to avoid this bullshit. WA state and local agencies already rape incredible amounts of citizens and seldom does anything productive happen that money. I just cant get behind it as a solution.

I can however get behind more enforcement. More LEO's covering smaller areas per officer to be more effective. Make it rain with littering, poaching and natural resource damage tickets. Cuff the repeat offenders, turn that shit into a misdemeanor crime. Fuck em

Latest posts