YNP Bears And Tourists

GAT

Dumbfounded
During all those years we took vacation fishing trips to the YNP area, we learned that the park is really a petting zoo that includes any animal within a short walk from the pavement.

The park service hands out a ton of warnings about the wild animals and not to approach them but every year the fact that you can't fix stupid is reinforced time and time again.

Andrew Shoemaker

When I lived on the Front Range and would go fish RMNP it was amazing how close tourists would try to get to the elk, especially during rut season...lots of injuries out of that park. And then there's the many tourists that attempt the slog to Camp Muir in RMNP in tennis shoes and cotton shorts and t shirt. Stupid is everywhere...on a related note, reading one star yelp reviews of national parks is a pretty great way to waste an hour at work.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/84085/15-hilariously-terrible-reviews-americas-national-parks

Andrew Shoemaker

A lady in Michigan asked us to move the yellow deer crossing sign down the road a mile so they would not walk in her "unfenced" garden..
Reminded me of this story I heard a few years ago...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MT_Flyfisher

I spent the past 18 summers on the Yellowstone River just north of the Park and was in the Park multiple times each year. It seemed like almost every time I went there I saw something that reinforced my opinion of how naive or just plain stupid many of the visitors are there. Like people who chased after grizzlies to get a better view or pictures - I’ve seen that many times.

One evening my wife and I took our grandson to see a Ranger program on grizzlies at the Bay Bridge Campground which started just before dark at an outdoor amphitheater. Just as the Ranger was setting up for the program, a grizzly happened to walk a short distance behind the stage. What a coincidence!

About a dozen people jumped from their seats and ran toward the bear. The Ranger yelled at them in his most stern voice “EVERYBODY GET BACK HERE!” When everyone came back to their seats, all of whom were very excited I must say, and several thought it was a black bear they had just seen, the Ranger explained that it was a grizzly, that we were in grizzly territory and those encounters happen from time to time, but they are wild, dangerous animals that you don’t chase after, etc, etc. Everyone sure paid attention to him for the rest of the program.

The following night we went to another Ranger program on wolves at Grants Village. Word apparently got around about the grizzly encounter at the program the night before. While we were waiting for the program to start we heard the people sitting behind us talking. “We sure hope the Ranger arranges for a wolf to come by tonight like that Ranger did last night at Bay Bridge.”

DUH!

cleanwilly

People just need to get out more. A few years ago on the beach in Maui, people absolutely could not believe that I was brave enough to pick up a small crab that washed in. I mean as in they were freaked the F out.

Jim Darden

When I lived on Lopez and tourists asked for directions I always included a “just past the railroad tracks” to any directions I gave. Not once did anyone question the existence of a railroad on a rural, 30 sq. mile island which requires either a boat or a plane to get to.
That's really mean.....got a great chuckle out of your post....;)

Rob Allen

The only thing we have trained bears to do is to follow hunters and to come running at the sound of a gun shot.

Driftless Dan

This reminds me of a clip I heard from a local DJ. A woman called to complain that she had hit deer three times on her local roads recently, and why aren't they crossing where the "deer crossing" signs are? He spoke with her and she was completely unironic, truly thought that deer would, or should, cross at those signs only.

Oops. I see Andrew Shoemaker beat me to that one!

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

It's for all the Chinese tourists that inundate YNP each summer. I kid you not. Sit-down toilets are uncommon in many parts of the world.

When I lived in China, many was the time I saw footprints on the toilet seat. My boss went over to a home that was under construction that he was soon to move in. He opened the door to the bathroom, and there was a construction worker, squatting on the toilet seat, reading the sports section of his newspaper. So there are some things that are universal!

Latest posts