Discovery Bay Intel!?

JayB

Hot Spotting Alert!!!!!

Just kidding. We're going to be staying in the area for 5 days with the boat (13' Whaler) and I'm trying to do everything from get a pointer for two for my gear-fishing father-in-law when he's out in the boat by himself to putting a coho in the larder for my wife to try a new recipe on to keeping the fishing stoke alive for my daughters.

I'd be grateful for intel on anything from intel if there's anything other other than watching the conditions and staying close to shore to keep in mind when it comes to boating, to cool boat-based sightseeing/attractions, interesting things to do on land, favorite restaurants, to tides/tactics/etc that might be helpful when it comes to delivering a memorable fishing experience for the extended family. I'll probably be chucking flies, but everyone else will be fishing gear so as long as it doesn't require downriggers it's all on the table as far as tactics go.

So far the only thing on the agenda is the Olympic Game Park, so things are pretty open at this point. Feel free to PM, and I promise to keep anything that you want kept quiet entirely confidential.

Thanks!

-Jay

Jay - I haven't checked the regulations but you will be close to Dungeness - assuming good tides for launching, you might look into fishing inside and outside Dungeness Spit.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Fishing the Strait in a small boat is usually a crack-o-dawn affair, if you want to avoid the wind. You might get lucky on the wind. Its been pretty light out here on the coast, compared to some years when the NW winds would pick up and howl every afternoon.
The weather isn't "normal" this year in my area. Been a hot dry summer here just south of Westport. Drier than I've ever seen it. I take that back. We had one day when it rained all day, followed by a day of light drizzle showers wafting through, and that kept things kind of green. Seemed like it rained a bit on the N Oly Peninsula a few times, but not down here.

Last edited:
Fishing the Strait in a small boat is usually a crack-o-dawn affair, if you want to avoid the wind. You might get lucky on the wind. Its been pretty light out here on the coast, compared to some years when the NW winds would pick up and howl every afternoon.
The weather isn't "normal" this year in my area. Been a hot dry summer here just south of Westport. Drier than I've ever seen it.
Good point! I forgot one tidbit about fishing outside of the spit - we used to keep our eyes peeled on the smokestack at Rayoneer mill (long gone). If the smoke started laying down, time to head for the inside of the spit.

pinks are a good bet fishing right on top of the Dungeness bar, anything red or pink. now that the sun has decided to come out, fish early and look for tidal rips, that's where the fish will hang. i have not heard any encouraging news, locally, regarding coho at this point. you might be able to launch at the sort of ramp at freshwater bay, chinook being taken around the caves and out to the campground at salt creek, stay tight to the kelp bed.

and i really good idea to check the wind forecast as this summer we have had weeks on end of gale flags flying on the strait.

Latest posts