Caddis Larvae in Brackish Waters

Squamishpoacher

I spent the last two weeks fishing an estuary for pink salmon. Here the tide backs the river up about 3/4 of a mile and in about half of that you can see the mixing of the salt and fresh water as the flow pushes upstream.

While taking a break, I noticed a cased caddis larvae crawling on an embedded log. I didn't have a camera but it's case was of woody detritus. I plucked the larvae from the case and it was a dark brown colour. This was while the water was brackish.

I'm just wondering if Taxon or any of the others knowledgeable in caddis life histories can tell me if caddis in saltwater estuaries are common. I always thought they were only found in freshwater environments.
Thanks.

Taxon

WFF Moderator
Hi Squamishpoacher-

My understanding is that some species of caddisfly are tolerant of semi-saline habitats. If you took a photo of the case and the larva you plucked out of it, please share. ;)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock