Sculpzilla eyes

YAKIMA

AKA: Gregory Mine
I guess my fingers aren’t as nimble as they used to be. I’ll throw my eyes in the mix too. I’m trying to know the trick on securing the eyes in the x-eye cones in size small. These eyes are so tiny by the time I’m done, the zap a gap is everywhere, the eyes are stuck to my fingers, and the cone looks terrible with all the glue all over it.

I’ve tried the smallest amount of glue but it just slips around, or I lose the eye “somewhere” and by the time I find it I’m a glued up mess. It seems so easy but not on my bench.

In my frustration, I’m wondering about uv finger nail polish. Just put a drop in the inset, hit it with the light and it’s done? Standard polish, model paint, something other than those F%=+/*g pain in the ass eyes.

Any advice or tricks from the masters would be greatly appreciated

Greg

chadk

Be the guide...
Have you tried just waiting a bit so the glue isn't so runny when you try to attach? Or perhaps a gel style glue? A toothpick or similar can be helpful when applying.

b_illymac

Member Active
I would try a glue with a brush. Just use corner of brush and very small amount on head. Hold eye and slide into place.

chadk

Be the guide...
Also, use gravity. Put in in a vice holding one eye straight up at 12 o'clock. Apply glue. Wait for it to get tacky if needed. Using tweezers, carefully set it on the glue. Wait for it to set, then flip and do the other.

YAKIMA

I, uh, sadly I think I figured it out. Under high magnification I can see that the eye is just a fraction larger than the inset. There is no way I could get it to set inside and stay locked in. I think in this batch I’ll just try some red nail polish, slightly fill in the inset and call it good. Probably be easier, quicker, and look better anyway. Just hope it lasts. Any suggestions on nail polish?

Thanks for all your advice
Greg

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Old eyes, cataracts & essential tremor has made installing eyes "challenging" (which beats "frustrating."). I started using a wee drop of GEL super glue on the fly head and lightly "stick" the eye to the tip of my bodkin along one edge. Then I carefully transfer the eye to the gel spot & position. Once secured, I seal the eyes in place with a UV over-coat. Using a tennis elbow band around my forearm helps tame the tremors on particularly bad days. Taking longer to apply eyes beats the hell out of not being able to apply them at all. When these senior citizen anomalies started to appear, I viewed them in the same perspective that has served me well for my entire life whenever a perceived problem arose -- I viewed it as a challenge and went forth to defeat it. "Adapt, improvise, overcome" . . .

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Old eyes, cataracts & essential tremor has made installing eyes "challenging" (which beats "frustrating."). I started using a wee drop of GEL super glue on the fly head and lightly "stick" the eye to the tip of my bodkin along one edge. Then I carefully transfer the eye to the gel spot & position. Once secured, I seal the eyes in place with a UV over-coat. Using a tennis elbow band around my forearm helps tame the tremors on particularly bad days. Taking longer to apply eyes beats the hell out of not being able to apply them at all. When these senior citizen anomalies started to appear, I viewed them in the same perspective that has served me well for my entire life whenever a perceived problem arose -- I viewed it as a challenge and went forth to defeat it. "Adapt, improvise, overcome" . . .
Does that tennis elbow band work on small things like tying on flies, and adding tippet to your leader. Nobody shakes worse than I do. It's like I'm in a windstorm. It's hard to get things done.

And Jim, get those Cataracts Fixed. I got both eyes done.

YAKIMA

That is a great idea. i'll pick one of those up for my next batch. With this batch, the eyes are slightly bigger than the inset, so it wouldn't seat no matter what. Best I could do is put them on off set, so it would want to keep sliding out and never flush. I'll contact where i got them from and let them know what i found. I don't know if the eyes or cones are out of spec ( i don't think the world will come to an end either way). I'll fill the inset with nail polish and call it good.

rotato

You definitely can build eyes with uv gel
Drop of amber, hit with light then black, then a clear over the top
I buy all my uv colors and the light at the nail salon
I do use a loon gel for thicker applications

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Does that tennis elbow band work on small things like tying on flies, and adding tippet to your leader. Nobody shakes worse than I do. It's like I'm in a windstorm. It's hard to get things done.
It may. I started using it when it became difficult to write with my left hand; eventually things progressed after retirement & I started writing right-handed. fortunately, I've always been fairly ambidextrous. I also take non-THC CBD oil which seems to help.
And Jim, get those Cataracts Fixed. I got both eyes done.
At last check, neither eye would qualify for Medicare coverage. My right eye is still a baby cataract & the left is considerably advanced; I'll get it checked again in a couple months.

P-FITZ98

I recently tied these sculpins. I found the metal heads on sale, wasn’t impressed with them. They aren’t the fish skull ones. It took awhile to figure out a hook that would work, and put small lead on back to make sure hook rides up. The other 2 I did with lead eyes tied hook up, deer hair and wool heads. The “metal head “ product isn’t great, imo. I do the stick on eyes with UV. 221CACE9-9444-4781-A506-7495CB13EE03.jpeg

Latest posts