Favorite Southeast Alaska Freshwater Coho Flies

matchu865

I'm headed to southeast Alaska start of September to fish for Cohos. Wondering what folks favorite flies are to tie and use this time of year. I'll be fishing in the freshwater on relatively short rivers and creeks.

Post pictures if you've go them, there are a million ways to tie an Egg Sucking Leach or a Wog :)

Here's what I've tied so far.

IMG_1492.jpg

Speyrod GB

When I went to Yakatat, I used bunny buggers with barbell eyes. My two best colors were chartreuse and cerise. I had a little pearl flashabou over the top. I also used small (4 & 6) clousers in the same color. My dogs were all deer hair, just like a bass bug. Purple flash fly, Popsicle (2) with a bead, and a white and chartreuse marabou fly. I used a floating line along with a sinking furled leader. Sorry, no pics. Good luck and enjoy.

Creatch'r

Heavies...
Black or purple with a chartreuse head is a must have. Same style ESL as you already have. Can’t go wrong with anything pink usually but nice to have something different if fish aren’t moving around a lot.

Ryan Janos

I had a lot of luck fishing an orange flash fly in the brackish water around Admiralty and Douglas Islands. Once I was above the tide a pink or purple moal drifted on a floating line was the ticket. Good luck up there!

Meeshka

i took a couple fly outs out of Homer AK several years ago and simple red/white clousers were my ticket, its what my pilot recommended

Meeshka

PS: Fisheries was doing a salmon count and 2000 salmon swam past my waders on the first day. If I can find my pics I'll post

Bryce Levin

Only thing I would add is some small, sparse clouser for when they get picky. I fished unweighted ones quite a bit when the fish were suspended near the surface. This was mostly in backwater sloughs where they were stacking pretty thick. Target the fish in the edges or in space. Also, my best topwater gurglers were small, size 8 ish in pink. Enjoy!

matchu865

Wow thanks for the awesome responses. I’m looking up the patterns y’all suggested this weekend. I’ve been tying a bunch so will post an update photo shortly.

Last year I learned not to use any stinger/trailing hooks as they lead to some incidental foul hooked fish.

Merle

Not New, Just rarely post...
Only thing I would add is some small, sparse clouser for when they get picky. I fished unweighted ones quite a bit when the fish were suspended near the surface. This was mostly in backwater sloughs where they were stacking pretty thick. Target the fish in the edges or in space. Also, my best topwater gurglers were small, size 8 ish in pink. Enjoy!
Agreed... once they've been in the fresh water for more than a day or two they really start getting picky, and the smaller flies will work better.

First time i went to Kodiak I sent with a huge box of giant flashy purple and hot pink buggers, bunny leeches, etc... those would only work when we found a pod of bright fish that had just moved in from the salt. Most of the time these big flies would get ignored. We ended up buying small white and olive zonker type flies (maybe size 8-ish) at the local sports shop and those were the ones we used most of the time.

-andy

matchu865

Most of the rivers/creeks we’ll be fishing are in the river but very close to the salt, but the small fly suggestion is great info to have.

Meeshka

The lenght of river I fished was only about 2 miles long originating from a lake empty in the ocean. Maybe 30 feet wide at the wides, crystal cleart but as Bryce mentioned they were stacked thick often doing what I call daisy chains mere feet from me. You will have a blast!

luv2fly2

Keep tying u have it nailed.. use lots of pink or purple. Use mostly white 4 the tails. Also Dali lamas will work. I am going the 2nd week of Sept north of ketchikan. Ur coho kryptonites look good. I wish u good luck. Dont forgot ur raingear. Mike w

luv2fly2

I had a similar post a month ago or so. Also contact Alaska fly fishing goods. They have lots of pics and ideas. Also stuff 4 sale. They r in Juneau. Mike w

g_smolt

Recreational User
SE AK cohos are suckers for a jiggy motion. Dolly lamas in Black/white, all white, purple/pink, pink/white, chartreuse/white, and pink/chartreuse are cash money, but they can occasionally be a pain in the ass to cast. Heavy, strung-out leeches work great up here - some days the bigger the better. 2-tone clousers or deceivers also get the job done in many places.

Coho tend to get pretty fussy as they are transitioning from salt to fresh, so have some small, sparse, and dark flies for that just in case you find fish that won't eat "traditional" coho stuff.

Latest posts