Double Taper or Weight Forward?

gt

i have used DT lines, 3->8 for trout as well as steelhead. i just prefer the way they cast and handle. the Cortland lines are pretty bullet proof so always a good choice.

tackleman

As you are new to the sport, It won't make much difference what line you buy. You will learn that certain setups will achieve specific demands better than others: be it type of line, distance required, type of fly (or combination), wind, casting restrictions, etc. Most fly fishers will go to the water with one rod and line. Their real opportunity from there on is being able to adjust the leader to achieve the demands of presenting the fly. Let that be an inexpensive but valuable lesson in improving the effectiveness of your fly fishing experiences. The opportunities for gaining more knowledge and skill are limitless.

Shad

IMHO Cortland 444 is a great line. I have used them for years. Cortland 444 Classic Peach DT should be added to your list.
From reading the other replies, I became convinced I don't know the real difference between WF and DT lines. I THOUGHT WF meant there was no front taper (all the belly in the first half or so feet of line, followed by a taper to a long running section) and DT meant tapered at both ends, with a long belly in the middle, but people who know more than me and are likely better casters seem to be suggesting there is little or no difference between the two at short to medium distances. I did a little research, and I found a good article at a site where I've found lots of good casting tips:

Sexyloops: DT vs. WF

Whatever the case, I really liked the 444 DT I had on my 6-wt., so even if I can't tell you why, I can recommend that line. I recall that I liked the long mending and roll cast capabilities best, and the article does seem to suggest I might have been right about that observation. It seems clear, however, that both types should be equally serviceable for the distances we fish most often, just as others have suggested, so perhaps it's not a distinction worth making for most fishing situations.

Rusty Shackelford

After checking the Echo website to see what lines they recommend for the Base rod I found that the 2 they recommended as general purpose lines that would be best for it were 125gn and 135gn, both slightly over weighted. Would I be better off getting a 1/2 size up line? SA Frequency Boost and Cortland 444 Modern Trout are 130gn lines and the Modern trout has a very similar taper to the Rio Gold which I've heard good things about but am not willing to pay for.

Rock Creek Fan

It is hard to say which grain weight is the best. A lower grain weight is better for some casters while the higher grain weight is better for others. It really depends on your casting style. More experienced casters can adjust to different rods and lines quickly (I am not one of them...).

All the lines you named most recently are WF and not DT.

Rusty Shackelford

It is hard to say which grain weight is the best. A lower grain weight is better for some casters while the higher grain weight is better for others. It really depends on your casting style. More experienced casters can adjust to different rods and lines quickly (I am not one of them...).

All the lines you named most recently are WF and not DT.
I'm aware that they are WF, I may end up going that route as it doesn't matter which you use unless you're fishing with more than 30-40' of line which I almost never will be.

tiptop

If your Echo rod is a fast action 4wt (maybe close to a real 5wt) the WF4 SA Frequency Boost will be right for it. If the rod is more a softer action true 4wt the Hook and Hackle line will be better.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
You know, most comparable lines cast better than most casting them just like most rifles shoot better than those shooting them. My suggestion is to invest time with a certified casting instructor using a variety of gear to figure out what suits you best.

Nd don’t worry, you’ll buy new rod/reel/line combos in a few years, it’s the nature of the beast.

Tight lines and post your reports and photos!

SpeyDragon

Take a look at 406 Fly Lines. Quality product for the price. The fiberglass fly rodders give these lines very positive reviews.

Rock Creek Fan

Thank you for letting us know what you bought. Once you get a chance to use the line awhile, let us and others know about your experiences for the benefit of all...

Latest posts