Tying material “product review “ thread?

P-FITZ98

That is one sexy looking minner pattern! Recipe?
Polar chenille body over .020 wire, dyed grizzly over saddle feathers, and Ep fibers and angel hair, need to play with more, possibilities are endless. It’s a big hook, 2/0, they are 4.5 inches tied.

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

Fish Skull Sculpin Heads. I’ve had a lot of fun with them. The eyes are a bit tricky to apply. They don’t seem to fit too well. Still, the helmets make a very productive sculpin.fshx 2.jpg

Last edited:

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
today i will add some material reviews.

vevuss thread - still total shit compared to utc 140 but utc 140 is getting harder and harder to find. i am using this on my streamers and i hate it. utc 70 was never very good, but that 140 is money for larger trout flies (12+).

UV polar chenille - amazing tying material. get it in all the colors.

Every pack of marabou ever - 70% useless. can i please pay extra money for only a pack of useable plumes?

laser dub - uv white - i have a lifetime supply. anyone know how to die this stuff?

quick descent dubbing - my go to for nymphs. it has a metallic sheen and dubs onto the thread in the best way possible. easy to build tapers, durable, and sinks way better then other dubbings.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Every pack of marabou ever - 70% useless. can i please pay extra money for only a pack of useable plumes?
I also agree. I don't know what happened but the marabou I bought 20 years ago was of much better quality than what is offered today. There's probably a story behind the decline in the quality but I have no idea what it is. I use a hell of a lot of marabou so I'm constantly looking for a source with good blood quills.

Squamishpoacher

Wapsi Extra Select is the best marabou I've found but even that seems to be declining in quality. You get 12 long stems to the pack. The tips are fine and good for hackling while the stuff down the stem is fuller and good for bugger tails and the like. Most other stuff is a waste if money.

Bob Newman

The answer is easy GAT, there's about ten times or more tyers now than there was then, and that includes the overseas tying operations. When they string up the marabou in China and elsewhere they don't care about the quality, they are being paid for volume.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
chop up that 70% of useless marabou plumes (minus stems) into dubbing and now every pack of marabou ever is 99% useful. thats better than the 30% :cool:

strip the offending fibers off the stem and insert into a dubbing loop, twist and wrap it forward

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
chop up that 70% of useless marabou plumes (minus stems) into dubbing and now every pack of marabou ever is 99% useful. thats better than the 30% :cool:

strip the offending fibers off the stem and insert into a dubbing loop, twist and wrap it forward
eh, ill pass. ill stick with normal dubbing.

A/L/D

Iridescent shreds, from the dollar store, sold in the party supply section used as gift bag stuffing. About 10 by 8 inch bag of pearl tinsel about 1/8" wide, 1 dollar for a half a lifetime supply!8100yyRNIaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Latest posts