OPST Rods?

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
To be fair, a 6wt is actually a pretty solid tool on many AK rivers. Besides for the big mainstem flows, there are MANY small rivers easily fished with light tackle. Having caught a couple hundred Alaskan silvers myself on my 9’ 6wt and 15# maxima leader I’m pretty confident saying they can be whipped and leadered in a couple minutes, even a big one. They do the same thing regardless of what rod you are using. Go ballistic, jump and spin and get tired. Unhook cast and repeat. Is it the right rod for the naknek or Kenai? No. Is it the right rod for every trib? Probably could be.

I didn’t know they made rods either.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Dad caught a 100lb sturgeon on 20lb test. Fought that fish for about an hour and a half. Darrell'd say "Jump ya sons a b---h!" And he grabbed for the gaff. When we got him in the boat, he measured 6ft long. I was so dang impressed...

So you gotta figure someone could catch a silver on a 6wt.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Dad caught a 100lb sturgeon on 20lb test. Fought that fish for about an hour and a half. Darrell'd say "Jump ya sons a b---h!" And he grabbed for the gaff. When we got him in the boat, he measured 6ft long. I was so dang impressed...

So you gotta figure someone could catch a silver on a 6wt.

Sorry, bogus was a poor choice of words. I didn’t mean it can’t be done, I was saying it shouldn’t be done.

@Creatch'r that don’t look like no trib to me.

May just be me. I also get mad when people land steelhead while trout fishing the D with 5wts.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
Two-hander (switch) rods are generally rated differently than a singlehand...ie: a 6 wt switch roughly equals a 7 wt sh rod....which IMO is adequate for coho. On the other hand, I've seen too many coho overplayed on 6 wt 9' singlehands to believe they're adequate.….Yes, they can (eventually) get them in, but when they're released, they're all too often sealbait.

diegoobrien

They’ve posted a couple things about their own line of rods dropping sometime in the next couple months. Right now I think the only people with them are reps/sponsored whatever you wanna call it. Intrigued to hear how they fish and the price points on them.

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
I think the same people that fight fish to exhaustion on light gear would also do the same with gear considered too heavy. They either are afraid to put pressure on a fish for several reasons or simply don’t know how. I don’t believe you lose more fish by putting more pressure on them. I do believe you can lose more fish by putting too little pressure on them. I think that thought process may be opposite for many who are inexperienced with fighting salmon or steelhead and why it may take 2 or 3 times as long for someone to land fish with the same gear as someone who is proficient. Light tippet drives me crazy. Light rods do not. Like I said I wouldn’t hesitate to string up a 6wt rod for coho unless I was fishing a spot where they could get out into the main current and really dump some line on me. That wouldn’t be fun for me or the fish and I would quickly reach for my 8wt. But YMMV.

Hard to say if it’s a trib, braid or mainstem from a picture of a gravel bar, but just having been around that neck of the woods I do understand it’s very likely. That’s where I would be with something similar to that rod if I was there now. Good all around rod for char and trout and quickly switch flies and throw at a pod of coho.

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I still remember when I posted a review of the original commando heads on WFF a few months before they were released. Everyone lost their shit saying they would suck, be useless, they wouldn't buy them, and they would not add any value (including some names in this thread).

Funny how times have changed - glad to see these dudes having success and expanding product lines. One of the more notable brands in the industry now after just a few years, and the big players were quick to release their own version of OPST products.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I think the same people that fight fish to exhaustion on light gear would also do the same with gear considered too heavy. They either are afraid to put pressure on a fish for several reasons or simply don’t know how. I don’t believe you lose more fish by putting more pressure on them. I do believe you can lose more fish by putting too little pressure on them. I think that thought process may be opposite for many who are inexperienced with fighting salmon or steelhead and why it may take 2 or 3 times as long for someone to land fish with the same gear as someone who is proficient. Light tippet drives me crazy. Light rods do not. Like I said I wouldn’t hesitate to string up a 6wt rod for coho unless I was fishing a spot where they could get out into the main current and really dump some line on me. That wouldn’t be fun for me or the fish and I would quickly reach for my 8wt. But YMMV.

Hard to say if it’s a trib, braid or mainstem from a picture of a gravel bar, but just having been around that neck of the woods I do understand it’s very likely. That’s where I would be with something similar to that rod if I was there now. Good all around rod for char and trout and quickly switch flies and throw at a pod of coho.

Agreed for the most part. A lot of people don’t put half the pressure on a fish the rod can handle and light tippet is a killer. My 6wt speys are all bought with smaller rivers and floating lines in mind and I’m quick to change to a 7wt if I need some backbone. Weight designation in the Spey world is pretty random, and I’d guess the OPST guys would go on the stout end.

That said the last ten percent of a fight can be a killer and I’d hate to promote people fishing too light a rod for the situation. I’m not saying they need a 10wt but a 10’6” 6wt just feels too IGAF record like for me.

Still a fan of theirs even if I do run Owner hooks and Airflo lines.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
What determines the rod wt I use is the size fly, tippet, and sink tip type I want to cast. After hookup, the rod is just a cushion/spring for fighting them off the reel. You can land a fish in the teens with a three weight and a stout tippet by pointing the rod at the fish and using the reel. I've seen and had a lot of large fish come to hand with a SH 6wt...and have broken many a 10# leader with em. :)

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
The PS pinks have been pretty large this year. On days that I actually get to fish I've had fun seeing just how much pressure I can put on these fish with a sixer and 10 lb Maxima. I let these fish take ZERO line. I fight them with the butt of my rod. I show no mercy. I lose very few, and I've broken off exactly zero. We can safely put an awful lot of pressure on a fish with a six weight and land them very quickly. IMO most people lack the confidence to do so, and that mostly comes down to the fact that most people just don't get to fish a whole lot and simply lack the experience and confidence to do so.

A six weight and stout leader is plenty to land all but the largest of coho pretty quickly, in the hands of an experienced angler. Coho, for all their awesome shenanigans, aren't super strong. It's not hard to turn their heads if you know what you're doing. From what I know about the angler in the photo she has plenty of experience and doubt she had much issue.

Johnathon Quarrell

May just be me. I also get mad when people land steelhead while trout fishing the D with 5wts.
When trout fishing the D on a 5 wt I highly doubt steelhead are ever the intended target. I mean I’m sure people try steelhead fishing on a 5wt, which seems like a not great idea I agree. But when you hook one on a 5wt nymphing for trout, which I have seen on MANY occasions myself as I fish there heavily, what is that person suppose to do instead of trying to land the fish? What would you do if you happen to hook steel while nymphing down there? No offense intended truly however, I’m just trying to understand why this would upset you.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts