What's in your cast iron tonight? Or your...

quadradomus

Oh man... somebody said “Cast Iron”. That is a trigger word for me. (-:

tonight I’m rocking the Chicken Paprikash. Think Chicken with a ton of Sweet Hungarian paprika, onion,dry white wine, sautéed mushroom, Dijon and sour cream, chicken broth, etc. Throw that over rice.
its das bomb.

when I’m bored, nothing to do... I either go out in the garage, and just move my fishing gear around, etc. OR, re-season my cast iron in the oven. That is a night well spent.

quadradomus

Oh man... somebody said “Cast Iron”. That is a trigger word for me. (-:

tonight I’m rocking the Chicken Paprikash. Think Chicken with a ton of Sweet Hungarian paprika, onion,dry white wine, sautéed mushroom, Dijon and sour cream, chicken broth, etc. Throw that over rice.
its das bomb.

when I’m bored, nothing to do... I either go out in the garage, and just move my fishing gear around, etc. OR, re-season my cast iron in the oven. That is a night well spent.

Attachments

Zak

Pork shoulder/Boston butt two ways. I love pork shoulder, such a deal! Earlier in the week I cooked a 9lb bone in pork shoulder "bo ssam" style:
1. Coat with a cup each of white sugar and salt, cure overnight in the fridge.
2. Pour off liquid and roast fat side up at 300F for 5-6 hours; until it collapses, basting with drippings every hour.
3. Let rest up to an hour while making fixings (ginger scallion sauce, Asian hot sauce, rice, lettuce cups, cabbage slaw)
4. Coat pork with a glaze of brown sugar, salt and vinegar, put in 500F oven for about 7 minutes until it has a candy crust.
5. Use Boston/Bob lettuce as taco shell, fill with rice, pork and toppings.

It's a great, huge meal. With lots left over. Last night, I used the leftover roast pork to make a simple tamale pie. I chopped the leftover pork and mixed with salsa in a large cast iron skillet, then made a cornbread mix and pretty it over the pork and baked according to the mix directions, then left it at 170F for an hour. Family liked it.

Screenshot_20200314-114134~2.png

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
I have been using avacado oil for a couple of years. I like the high smoke point. No evidence of rancid in my dutch oven stored in the garage for last 6 months. Of course it is Montana so cool in the garage all winter. All oil will go rancid over time so I guess it depends on your time frame for storing cast iron.
From a previous post - I have also experience olive oil going rancid.

I have read that that if you heat the oil to the smoking point - it will prevent it from going rancid (denatures proteins or something like that?). That's what I do - I have never had a problem - but then again, my cast iron rarely goes for a long time between uses.

dld

From a previous post - I have also experience olive oil going rancid.

I have read that that if you heat the oil to the smoking point - it will prevent it from going rancid (denatures proteins or something like that?). That's what I do - I have never had a problem - but then again, my cast iron rarely goes for a long time between uses.
Heating oil in the pan hot enough, and long enough polymerizes the oil. Basically it turns it into something that is not oil any longer.

That said, I would never use olive oil for seasoning a pan, it is expensive, and doesn't do as well as other oils. I use either grapeseed oil, or regular veggie oil.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
With Ive’s advice yesterday and Jerry having mentioned Lodge on an earlier thread i ordered this yesterday! It had been in my Amazon Wish List for awhile and yesterday when i looked at it it said the price dropped by 10%. I Can’t wait to try it out by! I love cooking most when trying something new.
17A76ED9-716A-49B0-BB6D-DF69AE4890B7.jpeg

Reactions: Zak

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
It is pre-seasoned but I’ve been looking online and think it will also season it before i use it the oven way. Don’t trust myself with a sander!!!!

Speyrod GB

Cowboy Kent Rollins has some great Youtube videos on cast iron care. It's pretty hard to hurt the cast iron with a sander. I found a few old Wagner pans in an antique shop. After cleaning them and re-seasoning them, they have become some of my favorites. They are very smooth inside.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts