What's in your cast iron tonight? Or your...

Zak

It is pre-seasoned but I’ve been looking online and think it will also season it before i use it the oven way. Don’t trust myself with a sander!!!!
It will get smooth inside over time, just from scraping it with the spatula.

To clean mine, I use a "chainmail scrubber" off Amazon under running water (no soap!) and then dry with a paper towel.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
It will get smooth inside over time, just from scraping it with the spatula.

To clean mine, I use a "chainmail scrubber" off Amazon under running water (no soap!) and then dry with a paper towel.
Yes, i got tired of continually replacing my non-stick pans because they lost their non-stickiness and i bought All Clad and Caphalon types and never used metal or cooking spray on them either. I think well used cast iron skillet is the way to go.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
Yes, I went back to cast iron quite some time ago. I use a 10" & 12" skillet and 10" dutch oven. I have some other D.O.s (8" to 14" & deep) to cook over coals. I season with Crisco in the oven. Check out the Youtube videos of Cowboy Kent Rollins, he has some good info.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Cast iron is great, but if you want something nonstick and nontoxic that doesn’t take so long to heat up or cool down, the Danish ceramic titanium Scanpans are great. Very durable and very nonstick.

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
Heating oil in the pan hot enough, and long enough polymerizes the oil. Basically it turns it into something that is not oil any longer.

That said, I would never use olive oil for seasoning a pan, it is expensive, and doesn't do as well as other oils. I use either grapeseed oil, or regular veggie oil.
Agree - I only use high heat oils for seasoning my cast iron, not olive oil. My experience w rancid olive oil was just from it sitting in a bottle.

Reactions: dld

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
I mostly have 60+ year old pans, but do have a lot of pre seasoned Camp Chef iron. Learned a lot when I was a member in WAGs. Was a scientist named Chuck who geeked out over cast iron and figured out an awesome seasoning method. I need to dig out the copy I have, but at the time he used Canola oil for cost and quality of seasoning, but also liked grapeseed oil. Get the pan hot, usually 400 degrees, in the oven. Pull from oven hot and coat with the oil. Then take a clean set of paper towels rub that cast iron clean. Leave no standing oil at all. It should look dry. Toss pan back in oven upside down and crank heat to to 500. Let it sit for an hour then shut off heat and let it cool. You can repeat this a few more times. Will be virtually no stick, even if you started with raw iron. I'll do this with every new piece I get from Camp Chef even though they are already seasoned. Bought a could pieces from Chuck and they were fantastic. It's important to wipe all the excess oil out of hot pan. If you don't you'll get those tiger stripes on pan, which create sticky spots.

Been tempted to restart my account at WAGs. Lots of good info for paying members only. May have some fantastic news methods by now.

Fast Action Freddie

I mostly have 60+ year old pans, but do have a lot of pre seasoned Camp Chef iron. Learned a lot when I was a member in WAGs. Was a scientist named Chuck who geeked out over cast iron and figured out an awesome seasoning method. I need to dig out the copy I have, but at the time he used Canola oil for cost and quality of seasoning, but also liked grapeseed oil. Get the pan hot, usually 400 degrees, in the oven. Pull from oven hot and coat with the oil. Then take a clean set of paper towels rub that cast iron clean. Leave no standing oil at all. It should look dry. Toss pan back in oven upside down and crank heat to to 500. Let it sit for an hour then shut off heat and let it cool. You can repeat this a few more times. Will be virtually no stick, even if you started with raw iron. I'll do this with every new piece I get from Camp Chef even though they are already seasoned. Bought a could pieces from Chuck and they were fantastic. It's important to wipe all the excess oil out of hot pan. If you don't you'll get those tiger stripes on pan, which create sticky spots.

Been tempted to restart my account at WAGs. Lots of good info for paying members only. May have some fantastic news methods by now.
I just inherited what I assume is a 40-50 year old pan. At first it looked like it was not properly cared for. But after one use and seasoning, it is better than my EXTREMELY well cared for 20 year old pans. I LOVE cast iron the only true enduring non-stick pan ... and of course great heat retention for searing.

edit: oh and my ~20 year old pans are really non stick. Every time i hear a new seasoning suggestion... like Jerry’s... I just do it . It always gets better. I love cast iron ... it’s like a living improving thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Fast Action Freddie

B

btw - some of my greatest memories of the last 25+ years ... as a fly fisher, and then newlywed, then father, and as fly fisher camper all along ... have been with outings that included my Camp Chef stove. I look forward to more happiness and memories soon.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts