What's in your cast iron tonight? Or your...

Mark Walker

Local store had wild scallops on sale, making them tonight over fettuccine.
Are they fresh or previously packed? Wet scallops are sprayed with potassium to preserve. Try soaking them for 30 minutes in 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of sea salt (dissolved) and 1 cup of ice water. Rinse with cold water, pat dry, peppered, and let set for no more than an hour before cooking.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Are they fresh or previously packed? Wet scallops are sprayed with potassium to preserve. Try soaking them for 30 minutes in 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of sea salt (dissolved) and 1 cup of ice water. Rinse with cold water, pat dry, peppered, and let set for no more than an hour before cooking.
Frozen, can’t get them fresh here. Thanks for the tip, I’ll try it.

Speyrod GB

I know cast iron is pretty versatile. I think its use only limited to my imagination. Decided to use a small pan as a meatloaf pan. It worked out great. Have never really been a fan of bread pans for making meatloaf.

Gary Knowels

e

It wasn't very good, I've got a few more roasts, any suggestions? I've got a lot of excellent roasts, steaks and hamburger in the freezer, I certainly don't need this stuff.
Maybe season heavy with salt pepper and Italian herbs and leave uncovered in fridge overnight. Bring to room temp then place in a 225 degree oven until the center hits 125 degrees( several hours for a 4 pound roast). Remove from oven and tent with foil for 45 minutes. Heat oven to 550 degrees and return the roast until a crust of your preference sets up, 5-15 minutes. Make a jus from the pan drippings. Slice thin and make french dips.

That's worked for me with lower quality round roasts in the past.

Bake

Those older pans are way lighter and smoother. I don’t quite understand why the new ones have so much material, one would think less material less cost. I am assuming that the quality of the iron allows the older pans to be thinner. This one does have some wounds on the cooking surface. Bits of history I suppose.
I need to fry chicken in this bad boy.
Seen in a few articles, where extra deep skillets like this one are referred to as "Chicken Fryers". All you need now is a lid, and you would have real treasure...

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
Seen in a few articles, where extra deep skillets like this one are referred to as "Chicken Fryers". All you need now is a lid, and you would have real treasure...
Yes those deep skillets were sold as chicken fryers. I have 2 old Wagner's chicken fryers. They're great.

Gary Knowels

"adult" sloppy Joe's. Homemade sloppy Joe's sauce braised short ribs. Seared 'em off, holy Trinity, built the sauce then put the short ribs back in to braised at 225 for 5 hours. Removed meat, chopped down, reduced the braising liquid and put it all on a toasted brioche bun.
IMG_20200119_153641.jpg

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
WFF Supporter
No cast iron today other than for searing some large chunks of pork butt. Then into the crock pot with a package of onion soup mix, a package of Ranch dressing/seasonng,1 stick of butter (sliced up), a dozen pepperoncinis & the goodness from the bottom of the cast iron dutch, I also added a splash of apple cider vinegar. I'll shred it up along about 4:30. It smells heavenly in here :D.

surfnsully

No pictures but last night I tried Cowboy Kent Rollins cast iron Porterhouse recipe and it was fantastic. Hot skillet, little butter, little oil and cook both sides about 4 minutes. Then turn it over and add herb butter and baste for two minutes on each side. Great flavor!

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock