hey the Amazon forest is NOT on fire

girlfisher

I believe NASA has stated that there are fires but they are actually down from previous years.

As far as "carbon cleanser". That's not accurate either. The Amazon is a carbon sequestration zone. There is no cleansing. It's just holding carbon and not emitting it. Unless of course it's on fire then carbon is released.

As far as fake news. I think it's sad when news organizations push any agenda. We live in a time where fact checking is as easy as it ever was and people as well as news agencies willfully choose not to.
Scientifically, I see what you are saying. Not really making oxygen out of CO2.

I believe the word cleanse commonly refers to taking in Carbon Dioxide and producing Oxygen. (photosynthesis) Rather a nice gift exchange, I would say. This to the tune of about 20% of the world's oxygen.

I was not able to find evidence of your NASA findings but did find the following quote from a NASA article: Brazil’s space research center, the National Institute for Space Research, which monitors fire activity with satellites, said the number of fires in Brazil between Jan. 1 and Aug. 20 rose by 84% from the same period in 2018, with more than 70,000 fires detected in Brazil’s Amazon rainforest so far this year — the highest number since records began in 2013.

Thank you for checking the accuracy of my quotes. I do not want to emit fake news.

Last edited:

jersey

livin' the dream
Any crisis begs for outside revenue streams to solve said crisis. Meh.

Are fires in the Amazon a new phenomenon or have these events happened before? Like tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, blizzards, monsoons, floods? Let me guess, it’s the worst that’s ever happened in recorded history, the likes of which no man woman or child has ever see.

Or is it a new phenomenon the most destructive ever in the past 4 billion years!! Told to us by unapologetic lying “if it bleeds, it leads” hysterical psychopathic news outlets? Don’t let those scum-sucking, algae-licking pricks bring you down (or educate you).

dustinchromers

Scientifically, I see what you are saying. Not really making oxygen out of CO2.

I believe the word cleanse commonly refers to taking in Carbon Dioxide and producing Oxygen. (photosynthesis) Rather a nice gift exchange, I would say. This to the tune of about 20% of the world's oxygen.

I was not able to find evidence of your NASA findings but did find the following quote from a NASA article: Brazil’s space research center, the National Institute for Space Research, which monitors fire activity with satellites, said the number of fires in Brazil between Jan. 1 and Aug. 20 rose by 84% from the same period in 2018, with more than 70,000 fires detected in Brazil’s Amazon rainforest so far this year — the highest number since records began in 2013.

Thank you for checking the accuracy of my quotes. I do not want to emit fake news.
My NASA source comes from an NPR radio broadcast. In the same article they spoke to the fact Brazil's semi equivalent facility claimed extreme high fire activity. The discrepancy is disturbing to say the least. I should have noted this. I didn't as I generally see NASA as not having an agenda here and trust them as much as one could trust any government funded private agency. I was not intentionally omitting the whole story.

As far as carbon cleanser. I can see where you are coming from with that statement. It is a new one on me. However I clearly see the word cleansing having some use here.

Here's a link to a source that may be somewhat involved with the npr story

Last edited:

dustinchromers

I'll trust N.A.S.A
So is NASA saying we are better, worse, or same old? Good article explaining how carbon monoxide is mapped. I figured they would simply use satellite imagery to see fires. I generally trust NASA as well.

dustinchromers

Well, its odd to read conspiracy theories on a fishing forum. This world is full of idiots. We're watching an important segment of nature be destroyed while people on the internet claim its not happening or that its fake news. Humans are the worst.
I'm not saying things are good down there. It just would be nice to have accurate info to base any opinion, action, or inaction on. When crying wolf becomes a norm it's hard to become excited in the event of the actual emergency. Credibility matters no matter how noble the cause.

2kayaker

While carbon, as co2, is released from burning or rotting, in excess it moves the ocean water slightly in the direction of acidity.While currently still technically base, the movement towards acid is harmful. This capacity of the ocean water to absorb excess carbon was a fairly recent discovery. Carbon is also held in the respiration cycle of healthy soil ( which is full of life).Carbon can be held for hundreds of years in wood, if it is heated to outgassing temp but deprived of oxygen. ( Think bio char'). The resulting carbon framework of the wood cells are optimal 'apartments' for abundant microbes, that help trees and plants to get there nutrients.
Methane is about 20 times worse than Co2 as a Greenhouse Gas.
I've heard we've lost 17% of the Amazon forest before this year. Once the total loss is 20% - its ecosystem begins to crash- and forest acreage will die off on its own.Take 4 breaths, now skip the 5th. Repeat for the rest of your life. That's a partial model of losing the 'lungs of the earth - the Amazon rainforest'.
This deforestation is driven by the demand for beef and soybeans. Do what you can.

Rob Allen

I believe NASA has stated that there are fires but they are actually down from previous years.

As far as "carbon cleanser". That's not accurate either. The Amazon is a carbon sequestration zone. There is no cleansing. It's just holding carbon and not emitting it. Unless of course it's on fire then carbon is released.

As far as fake news. I think it's sad when news organizations push any agenda. We live in a time where fact checking is as easy as it ever was and people as well as news agencies willfully choose not to.

Except that even the fact checkers are biased and agenda driven.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
It’s not on fire because the tweets put it out.
If you Tweet it, they will believe it... everything on the internet must be true too... this thread is sad... almost comical, but not really..

Never trust data from one source. So easy to check things, if you're willing to put in the time. They're even talking about the fires at the G7 conference.. that must some FAUX news... let me check Faux.com.. I think that's the site.. oh wait, I see a tweet.. I rescind everything I just wrote! :cool::)

Latest posts