Poaching musky on Merwin

Chromer J

I'll neither confirm nor deny an endorsement for vigilantism, but with the prevalence of cell phones and the technology to photo, film and report real time, I endorse the documentation and reporting of such activity asap to wdfw. The fish Washington app has the following link in their app:
I'm not sure if you can report this to police for more prompt attention. Maybe other members can chime in on that. Glad you were able to note some details of the perps.

PhilR

Wait, what? Why? That seems like a lot of risk for not a lot of reward. Do we know where they launch? Definitely keep an eye out.

dustinchromers

It appears wdfw law enforcement caught up to them. They had dead musky and other fish. The officer kindly advised spear fishing was illegal in Merwin. This advice was given after the musky were noted to be well undersized. The man in question asked,"how do I know it's undersize while spear fishing?" Apparently he pleaded ignorance successfully as no violations were written and I don't believe fish were seized.

My thoughts:

Are musky not a non retention species here even over 50"?

Why were no violations written when this is obviously nor ignorance and repeat offenders?

Why even have officers if they don't have any teeth?

I've attended court on game crime cases. It's a joke and almost random. The more flagrant the violation the easier the sentence. Can we not educate our judges on this public theft of resources? Can wdfw not educate them on the issues? It's no wonder people often speak of taking the law into their own hands when those charged to enforce it seemingly don't do a whole lot about serious game crime yet attack viscously the petty smaller violations.

70943730_1346372015517227_465294672126803968_o.jpg

Last edited:

dustinchromers

Are Muskie native to that place?
No. However, it's a quality fishery funded by your agency and there are a vast number of people that would like to keep it that way. Musky were introduced as sterile hybrid Tiger musky as a management tool to control sucker and pike minnow populations. It is working as gill net stomach surveys reveal that is 80% of their diet. To my recollection only 6 or 8% were Kokanee, trout and other silvery sorts.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
It appears wdfw law enforcement caught up to them. They had dead musky and other fish. The officer kindly advised spear fishing was illegal in Merwin. This advice was given after the musky were noted to be well undersized. The man in question asked,"how do I know it's undersize while spear fishing?" Apparently he pleaded ignorance successfully as no violations were written and I don't believe fish were seized.
Was this the WDFW & A (Washington Department of Fish Wildlife and Advice)?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts